• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Our Roland SP 300 is making a funny noise.

gtjet

We are getting a funny noise from our Roland SP 300. Sounds like the printhead hitting the clamps but when I removed then and ran it across there is still makes noise. Does not do this if we are just cutting. Sounds like it is coming from the data cable on the left hand side, kind of a clacking noise.

Any ideas?
If it is the data cable does it just need cleaning/lubrication or does it need replacing?

Kev41

Hi
sounds like it could be the ribbon cable & pipe carrier catching has the head goes back & fourth, common problem has the machines get older

Kev

gtjet

I think it is related to the printhead ribbon.

There are no marks and the prints still look great, just a new noise that we are not use to.

I will also call our dealer Monday when he is open, can not hurt.

Any other comments/suggests would be helpful. Thanks!

gtjet

A member PM me that the printer ribbon cable is probably dirty and sticky and rough, as soon as the printer quits printing we are going to clean that area. He also advised us to take care not to touch or get dirt / containments on the encoder strip - which we will watch out for now that we know. Will let you guys know if this fixes the problem. BTW he said when this happened to his he let it go until one day the print ribbon folded in half, so I am really glad that we are going to clean the machine before that happens (hopefully)
Thanks

gtjet

We cleaned around the print ribbon, the track back behind it that runs the full length of the printer and the gray metal slide/support that the print ribbon slides/runs along and so far no more noise.

That may have solved the problem and the prints still look great.
Keeping my fingers crossed though, thanks for the PM's they really helped a lot. Thanks also for the above post.