• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Outlines and contours

ChiknNutz

How come sometimes after you've created an outline and then make the contour into an object, it often times gets all screwed up - lots of intersecting lines and junk. It also sometimes does this with contours, but not as much. Contours sometimes get long jagged strokes for some reason. Doesn't happen all the time, but seems to happen most often with text outlines. Hopefully others are experiencing similar issues at times. Any ideas to alleviate the problem? Thanks much!

Last edited:

TerryStolmeier

Chris -

I get this all the time with what I call "dirty fonts".

If you zoom in close on the corner or point that is creating the junk, you'll notice the nodes are usually messed up or the line is even twisted over itself.

Besides fixing the contour, the only way I know how to avoid it is to be cautious of what fonts I use and watch the corners of objects that are drawn.

Hope this helps...

Terry

Gazzz

exactly, chances are the curves on the shape of your text are either to sharp, or the nodes are too numerous

Barry

I assume your talking about in Corel. I get this sometimes as well. I just export load into flexi and create the line in there. Flexi does not have this issue.

ChiknNutz

Yes, that's why I posted it in the Corel forum :tongue:

I've noticed that if I have this problem, I can usually get it to go away if I convert the text to curves, then delete the extra nodes that are usually present at the problem locations.

SouthPaw

GraphiXtreme said:
Hopefully others are expereincing similar issues at times.
So you are WISHING this upon us??? :help: (just kidding, I know what you mean...heh)

Yeah...this is my MAIN beef with Corel...the only solution I have so far is MANUAL NODE EDITING, which I love as much as you do, I'm sure.:rolleyes:

Cheers,
--William Bass

ps...yeah...it's normally the "dirty" or "grunge" fonts that cause this...whoever said that was right on.

jimdes

After further investigation (and a little trial and error) here's the scoop:

If you're running Version 11 ***edit*** I run version 11, I am not sure about version 12, I know this also existed in earlier versions ***end edit***you will need to install all updates. Currently there are three.

Service Pack 1 is available from Corel by logging into their site.

Service Pack 2 used to be available from their site but got lost sometime during release 12 (go figure) but you can find it here: http://www.unleash.com/training/coreldraw11servicepack2.asp

The third save helps a little Corel Draw's problem of shutting down during a save, another fun aspect of release 11, you can find that one at Corel's site also.

These updates helped a little but the problem is still present. The biggest benefit to SP2 is the update to the plotter controls. Great if you cut directly from Corel Draw.

SouthPaw

Try editing the contour instead of the font

GraphiXtreme said:
I've noticed that if I have this problem, I can usually get it to go away if I convert the text to curves, then delete the extra nodes that are usually present at the problem locations.
In my opinion, it'd be better to node-edit the actual contour...I'd leave the font alone unless it specifically needs to be adjusted for vinyl cutting.

One reason is that it might have unpredictable results...go ahead and do the contour, break it apart from the source object and then edit that...when you're done, you're done.

Now, Corel puts gazillions of nodes on its contours, I know. For most spikes, I just delete the single node that went into outerspace somewhere (may have to zoom out quite a bit to find it). Make sure that the base of the spike isn't too "flat" though.

Occasionally, I will marquee select a group of nodes in the problem area and delete them. Since Corel usually makes its contours with billions of STRAIGHT lines, this will result in a big straight line that just cuts across the object you're wanting to contour. I select that segment with my SHAPING TOOL and convert it to a curved line, then I put in just enough nodes to allow me to manipulate the line segement like I want (so that it's a clean contour)--it sounds all complicated, but once you've done a few times...it's not that bad.

It's not wrong to adjust the font first...I just see that as being a trial and error type thing...contour's not right...adjust font...contour's still not right...adjust font...etc., plus you wind up with a font that's not quite what you started off with.

I might be making a mountain out of a mole hill, though. Do what works for you.

--William

ChiknNutz

I don't actually change the font at all, I've just noticed that sometimes there are unneeded nodes in certain areas - causing the anomoly to occur. Yes, I usually just alter the contour, but you know how sometimes you get those that self-intersect and go plain nuts on you? Those are the ones that I'm referring to.