• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

outlook express - new messages go straight to deleted folder?

gabagoo

I have encountered a strange issue with Outlook express. Another sign shop was sending me some files and he called to see if I received it. I had not and he sent it 2 more times and I still saw nothing. I looked in my deleted folder and sure enough, there they were. Have I done something for this particular email adress to make that happen unknowingly? Not seen this before and it seems to only happen from him.

GK

Thanks for your fantastic opinion. that will really help me....

Try adding the senders domain to your whitelist (if not the whole domain, lets say its gmail then just that specific address)

Link HERE

Last edited:

Border

Try this: Click on one of their messages then go to the 'Message' menu and 'create a new rule'. Check the appropriate boxes to tell it that messages from that sender will be moved to your inbox and then save that new message rule.
Don't know why that's happening but hopefully that will help your problem.

gabagoo

Try this: Click on one of their messages then go to the 'Message' menu and 'create a new rule'. Check the appropriate boxes to tell it that messages from that sender will be moved to your inbox and then save that new message rule.
Don't know why that's happening but hopefully that will help your problem.

Now thats an appropriate piece of info that ACTUALLY helps me. Thank you bro!! :)

cptcorn

adad
Thanks for your fantastic opinion. that will really help me....

Sorry but its true.

As far as your problem, my advice is, this gives you the perfect reason to switch to a better email system, whether it be client side or server side. Anything is better than Outlook Express.

My opinion will help you, I guarantee it. I'm looking out for your long term interests, not just your short term.

cptcorn

adad
Also, if you want to stay in the Windows family of programs, Windows Live Mail is extremely better than Outlook Express.

gabagoo

Also, if you want to stay in the Windows family of programs, Windows Live Mail is extremely better than Outlook Express.

why didnt you add that in the first time instead of being a smart ass.
thats one of the reasons I posted a question like that...not to be ridiculed and it is responses like that, that keep people from ever asking.

Thanks anyways I will consider it. Here is the scoop though on this particular computer. Believe it or not it is my main computer where I generally work from. I run signlab5 from it and my email. I have a laptop next to it which I am on now. It has signlab 8 in it. The main computer runs on win98 only because Signlab 5 cant be run on xp. I am proficient with the software and can work pretty fast with it. I purchased signlab 8 and it is installed in this laptop and I have tried to get used to it but I am an old dog and still prefer version 5 for now. I also have Omega running in another computer that runs win 2000 and my Flexi is designated for my printer in another computer which is xp. One day I will be forced to move to version 8, but until then I am stuck with win 98 to run it and the email that runs in the computer. I have tried to run my email from the laptop but have had intermitant problems with it and decided to best leave it in the main computer until I blow a fuse and do something to change it.

cptcorn

adad
why didnt you add that in the first time instead of being a smart ass.
thats one of the reasons I posted a question like that...not to be ridiculed and it is responses like that, that keep people from ever asking.

Thanks anyways I will consider it. Here is the scoop though on this particular computer. Believe it or not it is my main computer where I generally work from. I run signlab5 from it and my email. I have a laptop next to it which I am on now. It has signlab 8 in it. The main computer runs on win98 only because Signlab 5 cant be run on xp. I am proficient with the software and can work pretty fast with it. I purchased signlab 8 and it is installed in this laptop and I have tried to get used to it but I am an old dog and still prefer version 5 for now. I also have Omega running in another computer that runs win 2000 and my Flexi is designated for my printer in another computer which is xp. One day I will be forced to move to version 8, but until then I am stuck with win 98 to run it and the email that runs in the computer. I have tried to run my email from the laptop but have had intermitant problems with it and decided to best leave it in the main computer until I blow a fuse and do something to change it.

I wasn't trying to be a smart ass. In the short amount of years I've been living, it seems people listen to you a little bit more when you antagonize them a bit and make it personal. Since then the person becomes emotional to your response and will actually take it to consideration more times then if they hadn't been.

So, with that, I think you're asking for trouble the way you're running your setup. Your main production station is extremely outdated. I'm not familiar with SignLab. Is there that big of a user interface difference between 5 and 8 that you're having a difficult time switching? I hear a lot of people say so and so software does not run on windows XP and I'm curious as to why. The only programs that I haven't been able to get working on XP are very old DOS/Windows 3.11 applications. If signlab 5 is that old you really need to -force- yourself to spend a few weekends working with version 8. From the way you worded your last messege it seems your usability issues reside in signlab 5/8 and not windows 98/xp itself.

What intermittent problems have you been having on the laptop and your email.

I'm worried your Windows 98 machine will die tomorrow, leaving you with nothing but a turd and a problem in your hand. I've seen it happen many times before. Can you afford to not work for 1 week? (worse case scenario, because it always ends up being that.)

gabagoo

if the win 98 computer died tomorrow I would be up and running right from the laptop. I generally use Signlab5 for all my main sign setups. I am not a 100% digital shop, in fact most of my work is still vinyl cut so I am not in desperate need of a newer version. I purchased ver 8 to learn it but I am not so young and have tired of the constant learning of newer software. There was a time when I welcomed it and was excited but those days are behind me. I just want to come to work to make a living as easily as possible it seems and then go home and enjoy some leisure time (which was not the case up until about 5 years ago). I have all the files backed up and can open them in version 8 if need be. Not to sure how I would get a plotter to cut from a laptop and that might slow me down, but maybe a week off is not such a bad idea come to think of it...lol as for email, i do have a Blackberry that gets everything so I would not miss any mail either.

MachServTech

gabagoo

Something you might want to consider:
My soloution for handling email in a print production environment is to have three different computers. I have one for admin/email and surfing the intertubes (with webmail client running so I can access it from anywhere). One for design only. (Has Adobe apps and design elements) the third is a RIP only...thats all it does...RIP files and store finished jobs on a separate RAID. Minus the software it cost me $1800 to set up this way. Now I have no bottlenecks for processing and viruses don't bring my system down, everything works much smoother and more consistent.

oh and Outlook still does crazy things to me, but at least now it doesnt take out my whole production when it implodes.

HaroldDesign

I haven't had any problems using Outlook, but I get sick of looking at the same program after a while. After reading some of the posts I installed Thunderbird and imported all my info and I really like it!

gabagoo

gabagoo

Something you might want to consider:
My soloution for handling email in a print production environment is to have three different computers. I have one for admin/email and surfing the intertubes (with webmail client running so I can access it from anywhere). One for design only. (Has Adobe apps and design elements) the third is a RIP only...thats all it does...RIP files and store finished jobs on a separate RAID. Minus the software it cost me $1800 to set up this way. Now I have no bottlenecks for processing and viruses don't bring my system down, everything works much smoother and more consistent.

oh and Outlook still does crazy things to me, but at least now it doesnt take out my whole production when it implodes.

basically thats how I have it set up except email is mixed with Signlab and there are 2 other stations, one for the edge (which sits idle for the most part) and the newest computer with Flexi and my Mimaki printer. The laptop is used basically for forums and internet. The idea was to use the laptop for email too but something weird seems to happen with outlook on this machine and maybe I should switch it to thunderbird. It will go in and get email from 3 different accounts but sometimes a box opens and it continually asks me for my passwords to get email which is weird cause they should be in there and no matter how many times I put the password in it refuses. Not sure if it is viral or my isp, so that plan backfired.

MachServTech

It will go in and get email from 3 different accounts but sometimes a box opens and it continually asks me for my passwords to get email which is weird cause they should be in there and no matter how many times I put the password in it refuses. Not sure if it is viral or my isp, so that plan backfired.
Sounds line an implementation issue with your ISP. Remember you are their customer. Don't give up until its right...squeaky wheel and all!

RebeckaR

Microsoft is no longer supporting OutLook Express, so if you are trying to receive Hotmail or something like it, you'll have to set it up as a pop3 email account.
Don't know if that has anything to do with what you're experiencing or not.