• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Oval Sign Cabinet

First of all, we make rectangle cabinet signs and channel letters all day long... We have never attempted an oval sign... This sign will be 4.5 feet tall by 15 feet tall. Will need to be flex face. The illumination will be flourecet high output lights with a couple of balasts....

Where do I start to do the oval part? Do I make a regular frame cabinet, than get 1" strip of steel and start wrapping it around and re-inforcing the sign with more angle?

Love to get some insight on how to get this sign started... Dont want to have to sub it out, since we do have brakes, welders, and everything in between to get the job done here.

Thanks guys for your help.

J Hill Designs

aluminum coil stock (5" with a 1" back) - get your back-peice cut (oval to size) then with notcher start wrapping the coil stock around -- just like making an "O" channel letter, but bigger...fluo raceways will just have to be planned out and built inside as needed...hope that helps...

aluminum coil stock (5" with a 1" back) - get your back-peice cut (oval to size) then with notcher start wrapping the coil stock around -- just like making an "O" channel letter, but bigger...fluo raceways will just have to be planned out and built inside as needed...hope that helps...

Since were doing it out of flex face... We cannot make it that simple. It has to hold the flex stretched...

Mosh

I would also put some angle braces to hold the sides at a 90 from the back, and give you something to mount with.

-John

Mosh

oval.jpg

I would put a brace every 24" or so. Do you have a clip system for the face. Wagner sells bendable retainers and clip systems for flex faces. We fab stuff like this all the time in different shapes. It is one sided right?

ABC Signman

Keep in mind, you might (will) have to service this sign someday. You do NOT want to have to detension the face(s) to do that. You will need service doors in order to do that. Your bulbs should be run vertically so you can get to them. This means you will have access doors all the way around the cabinet. Not pretty. We have an extrusion that works for this application. We build these signs all the time. I know you want to build it yourself, but in case you decide to outsource it, keep is in mind. Save yourself a s---t load of headaches.

Mike.

Keep in mind, you might (will) have to service this sign someday. You do NOT want to have to detension the face(s) to do that. You will need service doors in order to do that. Your bulbs should be run vertically so you can get to them. This means you will have access doors all the way around the cabinet. Not pretty. We have an extrusion that works for this application. We build these signs all the time. I know you want to build it yourself, but in case you decide to outsource it, keep is in mind. Save yourself a s---t load of headaches.

Mike.

Can you show me your extrusions? Prices?

Also, yes, I do know about the service doors. We are keeping those in mind as well. I just need to find a way to attach the flex and ALSO how to make a RETAINER.

Mosh, great layout. THanks bro.

John L

The flex was stretched between short sections of surface mount flex frame by Eastern Metal (EMS) and secured with the tension clips/bar they have for their frames. Our square tube was face cut to receive these frame pieces. We then used our router to make the face of the retainer (.090) and welded a piece of .090 flat on 90degrees to the face (bent around the oval face). Hope that makes sense. We got the nod from UL aslo because we used the EMS frame sections.

It sounds like a lot but this was only a days work for 2 guys to make the can (not including paint, wire, or face).

The flex was stretched between short sections of surface mount flex frame by Eastern Metal (EMS) and secured with the tension clips/bar they have for their frames. Our square tube was face cut to receive these frame pieces. We then used our router to make the face of the retainer (.090) and welded a piece of .090 flat on 90degrees to the face (bent around the oval face). Hope that makes sense. We got the nod from UL aslo because we used the EMS frame sections.

It sounds like a lot but this was only a days work for 2 guys to make the can (not including paint, wire, or face).

Do you have any pics bro?