• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Over lamination question

Straycatgr

Hello to all. this is my first question here :) I would like to ask if someone has done it before. ... Is it ok to use Polyester clear Lamination over a polymeric vinyl? I have found a laminating materialThese that suits my needs but I am wondering if the combination of a vinyl polymeric works well with a Polyester lamination instead of a polymeric vinyl lamination. Will it stand well in time? Also Do you suggest a cold laminating pass or should I use some temperature on the polyester? Forgive my ignorance but I've never done this before :) These are the tech specifications of the polyester film.

- Film thickness: approx. 250 µm
- Composition: hardened, high gloss polyester film
- Basic weight: approx. 450 g/m²
- Surface: Smooth
- Glossiness: 60º/85º C
- Adhesive: Solvent-based, clear, permanent acrylic adhesive
- Adhesive thickness: 28 g/m²
- Adhesion (Glass/25mm): 10min. ≤ 1500 24h ≤ 1620
- Liner: 20 µm PET film

Thank you in advance!

Precision

Use the overlaminate that is recommended for the vinyl you are printing on. If you look at the spec sheet for the particular vinyl it will usually give you an overlaminare suited for that vinyl. Cast with cast, calendared w calendared. Try not to mix that. Hope this helps!

Straycatgr

Use the overlaminate that is recommended for the vinyl you are printing on. If you look at the spec sheet for the particular vinyl it will usually give you an overlaminare suited for that vinyl. Cast with cast, calendared w calendared. Try not to mix that. Hope this helps!
I agree, but the thing is it is very hard to find a 300 mic overlaminate or something close where I am. Seems like the only thing is to try to find it online and import. So I happened to fall on this one by a company called digiprint. I was just wondering if it could work.

MrDav3C

I think the biggest potential issue here is that over a period of time all vinyl and laminate will shrink at a certain rate. If they are matched vinyl and laminate then in theory they shrink at the same rate, if they are unmatched then they will shrink at different rates which will inevitably lead to problems.

If the vinyl is intended to be applied over a recess or curved surface then there are further potential issues such as the wrong laminate pulling against an applied wrap vinyl or the laminate negating the conformability properties that the vinyl has in the first place.

If this is a short term item then you would probably be ok, if it's long term I wouldn't recommend it.

Perhaps it would make more sense to use the right matching laminate but double / triple laminate it for extra thickness / durability?

MarkSnelling

Mark Snelling - Hasco Graphics
if there aren't a lot of temperature swings, you might find success....but if the graphic is going to be outdoors in a climate where the temperature can swing 20-40 degrees a day, you'll likely see some issues. If it is inside, though, I'd bet you would see satisfactory performance. I'd be careful going outdoors. Why not switch to a thicker adhesive vinyl? There are PVC laminates that thick as well.