• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overcut Compensation is VERY strange

tedbragg

I can not figure out how to get Overcut Compensation to work right. (See screenshot)
No matter what I put in the field, whether negative or positive, tiny or large, the cuts go wild and do not compensate at all — it just makes a mess.

My primary blade overcuts by .25”, so entering -0.25” or “-.125” or positive 0.25 or whatever makes the cuts go up to an INCH overshot. I’ve left this turned off and tolerate the ugly cuts for now. It’s never cut without some type of noticeable Overcut

Attachments

• F011169E-D8DA-4514-931F-7DE15D6C2F6A.jpeg
    F011169E-D8DA-4514-931F-7DE15D6C2F6A.jpeg
    374.7 KB · Views: 300

tedbragg

I can’t access our support account, which is why I’m asking here. The Reddit forum has mostly questions with not much in the way of answers. I thought somebody here might know if there’s another setting camped out in smoother part of Opti that has to be set first or some such before OCC will work right.

Tried it again this morning and tore up a bunch of foam board letters. I love it when it works but when it doesn’t — geez

weyandsign

Try putting in 1". It should stop an inch short and then cut in from the other direction. Maybe your blade is not rotating properly.

JBurton

Signtologist
Probably unrelated, but I gotta ask, why is the plunge rate on the z axis so damned high? If you're cutting rigid substrates, I'd imagine this would cause some deflection on the blades, but wouldn't do anything to the overcut issue afaik.

Maxz3241

What are you trying to cut? Sometimes doing a reverse cut can get rid of the overcut because it will be on the back rather then the front.

JBurton

Signtologist
So on my router with an optiscout camera addition, there are some very odd choices of text boxes on the developer's part. I'd recommend reaching out to Colex and/or optiscout to help you understand what they were thinking when they set them up. Here's an email from the router company describing the way in which you have to set up the machine to do multiple passes on a job. Not related to your issue aside from getting to see the WTF of what they were thinking:
After talking with them I think the problem is your final pass depth. These guys are a German company, so their wording probably makes sense in German and in English their thought process is weird.

So Material thickness is what it says. Pass Depth is actually maximum cut depth, which they’ve done as a positive number down from the top of the material even though the zero is at the bottom. Depth per pass is what it says and then final pass depth needs to be 0 – so basically that’s the lowest it is allowed to go and will override the other settings. I don’t know why it’s like that. But basically:

the first two should both be material thickness, pretty much always.

Third, depth per pass, needs to be thickness per pass. So on a 0.125” material, a single pass would be 0.125, two passes would be 0.0625, etc

Fourth, final depth, should be 0 because we want it going all the way down through the material to 0.

tedbragg

Optiscout has the most PSYCHOTIC ui and documentation. The plunge rate IS a tad high. I've reduced them. No idea why they were set so freakishly high.

Overcut Compensation causes the blade to 'sketch' out any curve in hundreds of straight lines. Doesn't matter what lift-up angle settings I used, it was awful. So OCC stays off. :-(

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Depending on 7 or 8 opti will make the difference. .125 on all corner compensation will eliminate your overcut, in 7 it will not.

We move, install and service colex brand cutters all over the world. Ask us anything about opti.

Print1

Tech for your cutter, printer & logistics needs
Optiscout has the most PSYCHOTIC ui and documentation. The plunge rate IS a tad high. I've reduced them. No idea why they were set so freakishly high.

Overcut Compensation causes the blade to 'sketch' out any curve in hundreds of straight lines. Doesn't matter what lift-up angle settings I used, it was awful. So OCC stays off. :-(
False. The angle is set to low and the blade will make smaller cuts to avoid breakage. The head will lift up and down hundreds of times, it will make the cut eventually especially with single edge universal: