• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Overlaminate for Vinyl

Pski89

Im taking it from my reading school grade laminate is no good.

what is a term I should look for for laminate,

i want something that has very long life

I have been using the Traffic Wrapz from uscutter, as it is VERY nice laminate, just at $175 for 10yd its pretty pricy.

any thoughs for overlaminate for stickers and then a stronger one for car decals and signs??

THANKS!!

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
what is a term I should look for for laminate,
Just like printable vinyl, laminate comes in the calendered and cast varieties. Calendered is generally good for 3-4 years. Cast is the high end stuff that lasts 7-9 years. What you're using right now is a short roll of cast laminate used for car wraps which is why it's so expensive. If you buy a full sized roll, 50 yards, the price should come down. I personally wouldn't use anything but calendered for car decals etc. Not worth the cost.

ikarasu

Some calandered is ok for car decals... Some not. I'd at least get a polymeric calandered with UV protection. Something like 3m 8508.

It also depends on the material. Never put a calandered overlam on a cast vinyl (the reverse is generally ok)

I feel like uscutters prices are pretty high too. I mean... It's open for anyone to buy, and everyone to see the prices - is Grimco or gansdigital or fellers not way cheaper ?

Pski89

so when i am comparing x2 laminates such as

3M™ 8508 Scotchcal Gloss Overlaminate
vs
ORAGUARD® 290 Premium Cast PVC Laminating Film

it is mainly volume and price at that point, as they are both cast

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica

vs

No. Search for the answers, they are out there.

signheremd

vs

No. 3M 8508 is a 2.3mil 4yr overlaminate, Oraguard 290 is a 2.0mil 8yr. The 3M 8508 is meant for windows and walls, the Oraguard is meant for all uses including vehicle wraps. Price is very different. If you want a comparable 3M, try 8518 - it is a 8yr 2.0mil, though it costs more than the Oraguard. If you want to learn more, I suggest you try reading the manufacturer sheets on these products. Here is a link for 3M overlaminates (below), be sure to go to page 17 as it gives an excellent comparison of various 3M laminates.

I know Grimco has links for these with each product on their webstore. As a professional, you will want to train yourself to read these things. They provide information to not only help you make a good choice for your application, but also odd things like which transfer works (important for various etch films, as example).

Here is a link to Oraguards 290 fact sheet:

Pski89

No. 3M 8508 is a 2.3mil 4yr overlaminate, Oraguard 290 is a 2.0mil 8yr. The 3M 8508 is meant for windows and walls, the Oraguard is meant for all uses including vehicle wraps. Price is very different. If you want a comparable 3M, try 8518 - it is a 8yr 2.0mil, though it costs more than the Oraguard. If you want to learn more, I suggest you try reading the manufacturer sheets on these products. Here is a link for 3M overlaminates (below), be sure to go to page 17 as it gives an excellent comparison of various 3M laminates.

I know Grimco has links for these with each product on their webstore. As a professional, you will want to train yourself to read these things. They provide information to not only help you make a good choice for your application, but also odd things like which transfer works (important for various etch films, as example).

Here is a link to Oraguards 290 fact sheet:

Thank you for the directive! i am reading into it.