• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

P & Z Gotta love em

Happyprinter

So just spent several months working with a local P&z to Get a permit to install a sign on a local building. After jumping thru countless hoops, and many modifications to the design. Submitted the final draft again only to be told that due to a special zoning issue the size would be limited to only 12 sq ft. Of course the one we had planned on was almost 90 sq ft. I wonder if they sit around when things are slow and see how long they can torment sign companies for laughs. VERY FRUSTRATED, but, such is life, I guess.:ROFLMAO:

OlsonSigns601

other side of the story is i had a customer who just wanted a sign board but the officials said no and he had to get channel lettering.

signage

Are you telling me you did not get a copy of the codes for signs to start with?

If you did you should have known the maximum size allowed.

2B

90 SQFT down to 12 SQFT!!??

that is a DRASTIC size difference, what reason for the change?

OlsonSigns601

Are you telling me you did not get a copy of the codes for signs to start with?

If you did you should have known the maximum size allowed.

In my area it has nothing to do with the codes most of the time. They have a review board that goes out and looks at the sign and the surrounding signs.

If everyone in that area has a red channel letter sign and they are all 12' long, that customer will have to get a 12' red channel letter sign.

The sole approval process is left completely up to the city and if you object, then you have to take your case to higher ups.

Happyprinter

Yes I did have a copy of the code. The building was located at the very end of a commercial district and adjacent to a residential area. Because of the close proximity to the residential area the city decided that the building, instead of being zoned commercial had a special commercial/residential designation which I had never heard of nor been advised of before which stated no sign could be over 12 sq. ft.. We are going to make it work as the building sits on a corner lot and we can install a 3x4' electric sign on each side that faces a street.