• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint mask bridging

Pinfinity

We are working on a project using Extira with CNC carved copy. We use Stix primer and finish with Aquacoat ronan paint. Is there any way to avoid tearing out when removing the mask?
We are filling the graphics with modern masters gold. Should we be using enamel vs water-based paints?

Any help is appreciated

Billct2

I always pull as soon as I can, while the paint is "wet". If it requires multiple coats or it's gold leaf I often do a second very thin "bleed" cut. Apply first coat, pull the bleed cut. Apply second coat and pull the rest of mask.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Remove it when the paint is wet or slightly tacky or you risk tearing the paint edges.

Reminds me Back in the day at Butera School of Art ( Hand lettering school in Boston) 1988-90 Instructors called it cow mask… wtf?

Students didn’t figure it out for a while but an easy out for not hand lettering it. Cow mask = coward mask…lol.

I never used it with water base paints only 1 shot Enamels.

Brings back some memories.

Water base paints set up quick so remove it immediately

AndreaRotela

To avoid tearing out when removing the mask, we recommend using a sharp blade or knife to score along the edges of the mask before peeling it off. This can help prevent the mask from pulling up any of the painted surface.

As for the paint choice, using enamel paints can provide a more durable and glossy finish compared to water-based paints. Enamel paints also tend to adhere better to surfaces and are more resistant to scratches and chipping. However, if you prefer to use water-based paints, make sure to apply multiple thin coats and allow them to fully cure before removing the mask to minimize the risk of tearing. It's also important to use a high-quality primer and ensure proper surface preparation to enhance the adhesion of the paint.