• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paint specs to give to customer for murals

bigben

We do tons of murals and vinyls on painted drywall. I normally use the 3M paint test when I do my survey, but some customers are asking me for the detailed paint requirement. The only informations I've got from vinyl manufacturers is a ''contractor paint'' and avoid any ''easy cleaning'' agent or VOC. This is very vague.

Does anyone have a document with the specifications required for the paint and/or a particular paint/sealer to use?

Ideally, I would like to give my customer a document that tell them what to do and choose for their paint.

Thanks.

bigben

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/346473O/5-37-application-to-walls.pdf

Page 8 has 3M recommendations. Basically boils down to they recommend Kilz brand primer and a semi-gloss paint with no anti graffiti additives.

"Laboratory tests using Pittsburgh Paints and SherwinWilliams Paints have provided acceptable film adhesion and removability characteristics on sound surfaces"

I had this one. Actually, my 3m rep recommend the sherwin-williams proclassic but he could not tell me why. Someone else recommended a sealer like gardz made by zinsser.

Dan360

I had a similar conversation with our rep, he basically pointed me to that document and said there really are no guarantees. So whenever a customer asks us for recommendations, we tell them basically the same thing and always do a wall test. The best results I've had consistently was avoiding paint all together and applying directly to primer.

bigben

I had a similar conversation with our rep, he basically pointed me to that document and said there really are no guarantees. So whenever a customer asks us for recommendations, we tell them basically the same thing and always do a wall test. The best results I've had consistently was avoiding paint all together and applying directly to primer.

In my case, I had failure with install on primer directly. All manufacturers don't recommend to apply on primer direct.

Dan360

Maybe it was a sealer, I'll have to ask the guys next time. These are usually for new restaurants opening up and it looks like primer based on where they stopped painting but I could be wrong.

bigben

Maybe it was a sealer, I'll have to ask the guys next time. These are usually for new restaurants opening up and it looks like primer based on where they stopped painting but I could be wrong.

for restaurants, they normally use a sealer effectively.