• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Paneling a Router Job Question

Barry Jenicek

Today, I will be doing some research on how to panel a 5’ x 5’ sign on my Gerber 408 Router.

Naturally, the Gerber Software PANEL's the output into two sections. I have experience with paneling Vinyl on my Gerber Edge. Paneling vinyl allows for an overlap on to each panel. However, logic dictates, that Router Paneling has no overlap because each panel must be fitted butt-to-butt.

Is Router Paneling a “big thing” or is it simple to do? Have you had any experience with Paneling? Is there any Tricks of the Trade that you can share? Do you know of any publications or articles in the Trade Magazines that have addressed this question?

Thanks
Barry

henryz

Route the panel like you normally would, try to avoid the copy if possible. We glue a flat piece of .125 alum to create a lip and them glue the other half to it. you can leave the visible seem or put a few tack and bondo the face.

Eric H

Normally if it is just a long panel like a 4x10 it can be paneled in artpath and you would just size the panel where you want it and pull it down. Since your piece is 5x5 it won't fit on the table it needs to be separated into two pieces in composer or whatever design program your using. Basically like your making two signs and putting them together. Like Henryz said try to avoid carved sections if possible. If there are carved sections you need to let them extend past the edge of the panel so you don't get a beveled edge on the seam if you are doing prismatic carving.

Martin Denton

to join the two panels we use a tongue and groove on the rear by taping one piece of substrate set back from the edge as a spacer then another piece over and butted to the edge as the groove then a tongue of the same substrate to the other side, keeps them pulled nicely together across the face and you can pull the panels apart with ease