• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pantone chart

signwizz

i have a customer that needs a pantone colour matched and i have a grip flex chart but i cant find the blue he wants its pms2945 do i need a different chart or newer one this is from 2nd edition 1990-91 dont use it much so not sure
thanx shane

ddubia

Here's one in .pdf format. http://www.ramayes.com/Data%20Files/Misc/pantonechart.pdf

Choose the material you need to print on. Print this on that material. What you get may not be a perfect match to the PMS color you're looking for, but it will let you know exactly what color will print, on that material, for whichever PMS color you choose.

Sometimes customers try to explain the color they want in a manner like, "Dark green, but not quite a forest green but darker than a mossy green. Something more like a dark sea foam green or a Boston fern but a little darker than that."

That drives me nuts as I have no idea what they are talking about. So we have a printed PMS chart hanging on our wall. I have them point to the color they want and I am assured that when I print their project that color will come out exactly like the one they chose since it was printed on our printer in the first place.

Like I said, it likely won't match the PMS swatch book but at least you can predict exactly what it will look like when it prints.

Hope this helps.

signwizz

its for a company and i have to match vinyl to the corporate colours i cant find the pms # on my chart to find a vinyl that matches and i was wondering with my chart being older has it changed
hope this helps

ddubia

I didn't realize you were looking for vinyl to match an odd PMS color. Doubt you're going to find that. I have heard some manufacturers will custom make a vinyl color but I'd think unless you need an awful lot of it it wouldn't be worth it.

Get samples from every vinyl manufacturers you can find and show these to the customer. Let him know that sometimes the PMS color you want to use simply doesn't exist in vinyl and see if a close match is good enough. To be honest, I had a customers ask for a PMS color for a small job and I took the risk of useing a vinyl that looked pretty close to it by my eye without even asking him. He was happy and has since become a repeat customer. I correctly judged from the beginning that he didn't know the difference between a Pantone PMS and his wife's PMS. He just found a color he liked. :wink:

Sometimes they see a PMS swatch and love that color but wouldn't know the difference seeing it in the pantone book, on a computer screen, a close print match or a close vinyl color. All of which will be different. Others will use a spectrometer and damn you until you get it right.

If you have to hit it without fail, perhaps this is a job better suited to the printing process. If you can't print match a PMS color to the customer's satisfaction you can outsource the print job to someone who can. Even then, no PMS color is going to be perfectly matched by a cmyk printer unless it's screen or offset printing using a specific can of spot color ink.

I'm not at work today or I could look in our Pantone Color Bridge Guide and see how close it can be done for that particular color. Sometimes it's way off. Sometimes dang near perfect. Sometimes, using cmyk, a different PMS color needs identified to more closely get the look of the original choice.

It's a crazy, mixed-up world of color and a crazy, mixed-up world of customers. When those two crash into one another one of them has to give and I guarantee it won't be the Pantone color. :thumb:

Good luck. Like I mentioned above, first find out how particular the customer is. They may say they need to have a perfect PMS match but many of them wouldn't know it if they chipped their tooth on it. An quick explanation of how difficult it is to get the perfect match in our industry, the hoops that have to be jumped through to get it and the expense involved and you'll most often find that "close is good enough".

G-Artist

Yes, you do need to update Pantone almost yearly to keep up.

They constantly make changes and additions - that's how they keep their income stream. Check their Web site for all the products they supply...a bit overwhelming and very pricey.

As to the vinyl, you can color it with the Pantone color you need by having it matched and mixed at a local paint supply shop and spraying it on...as long as it contains xylene as a solvent (xylene provides the necessary 'bite' to make it adhere to vinyl) . Cut, then paint (before weeding).

Neil

Just had a look for you - 2945c is very close to Arlon 006 blue, or Oracal 551 series Marine Blue 509, or 3M Vivid blue 7725-17