• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pantone Connect Really Sucks

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Well I use Pantone Connect and they have come out with a new color scheme, They have it show up like an advertisement as soon as you open the extension. Also now that they have done this, when selecting a color you could select add swatch to document, that option is gone. I have mailed them as there is no telephone support for this extension, but who know when they will get back to me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, not sure if the software did an update or not.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
So far I have avoided signing up for Pantone Connect. I think it's a rip-off. They want $180 per year for some digital swatch books? On top of the $200 or so it costs to buy a physical set of Pantone Color Formula Guide swatches? No thanks.

Aside from that I've seen all sorts of complaints about the Connect software being buggy and difficult to use. When I first heard Adobe was going to remove the Pantone spot color libraries (to comply with demands from Pantone) I made backups of the ACB files for Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign. When a new version is released I just copy those ACB backup files into the appropriate folder locations. The only downside is those swatch books don't have any newer colors. But here's the kicker: competing applications like CorelDRAW and Affinity Designer do. I can literally create some artwork in either one of those apps, save the results in Illustrator format, open it in Illustrator and the newer Pantone spot color will be preserved.

Oddly, Pantone hasn't demanded Corel, Affinity and others to remove the Pantone spot color swatch libraries from their applications. Just Adobe. I guess Pantone can't (or won't) figure out how to make its Connect software work with other graphics apps. Then there is all the industry specific apps with their own Pantone swatch libraries, such as large format RIP apps. Will Pantone try going after any of them? The whole thing is just a stupid situation. Pantone is pulling this stunt in an attempt to strong-arm graphics people. I can only see this move encouraging people to hang on to old swatch books and use work-arounds to avoid that stupid subscription.

Pantone claims they were "forced" to launch their Connect service because Adobe didn't update their versions of Pantone's swatch books. The way I see it those digital Pantone swatch book files are form of advertising for Pantone to sell those physical swatch books. They're not the only company making spot color systems (Toyo, Trumatch). Adobe could have just as easily charged Pantone to include those spot color libraries in their graphics software. If Pantone cared so much about Adobe apps having proper and current spot color swatch books whey didn't they make the ACB files themselves? Why leave it up to Adobe?

bteifeld

Substratia Consulting,Printing,Ergosoft Reseller
Pantone Connect is supported by Pantone, which has its own phone number
at 866-726-8663.

Indeed- why leave it to Adobe?

Ed Hagen in his Project BBCG(Better Brand Color Guide) explains alot about the
foibles of named color systems, all of which can be replaced by a few simple
actions:

Measure the colors that interest you with a spectro
Make whatever names you want for them and put them and their L*a*b* measurements into ASE or CxF files
Use those same ASE or CxF files in your favorite design programs/files and RIP software

www.projectbbcg.guide

CanuckSigns

I'm surprised adobe doesn't just come out with their own library, sell physical swatch books, give a discount to cc subscribers and watch pantone reverse their decision. Adobe has a huge market share of designers and production people using their software, if they build it, they will come.

MHester

I'm surprised adobe doesn't just come out with their own library, sell physical swatch books, give a discount to cc subscribers and watch pantone reverse their decision. Adobe has a huge market share of designers and production people using their software, if they build it, they will come.
Great idea! But Adobe giving discounts....naw, that would never happen.... LOL

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
Pantone Connect is supported by Pantone, which has its own phone number
at 866-726-8663.

Indeed- why leave it to Adobe?

Ed Hagen in his Project BBCG(Better Brand Color Guide) explains alot about the
foibles of named color systems, all of which can be replaced by a few simple
actions:

Measure the colors that interest you with a spectro
Make whatever names you want for them and put them and their L*a*b* measurements into ASE or CxF files
Use those same ASE or CxF files in your favorite design programs/files and RIP software

www.projectbbcg.guide
I tried calling Pantone and letting the phone sit on speaker for over an hour while I was working and finally gave up. I received and email from my support request telling me to uninstall the extension from adobe and reinstall it to fix the problem. Well it took four tries and it finally worked, they claim it is a known bug and they are working on it.