• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paper cracking when scoring

BrendaIsela

I am scoring 100# index paper. Why is it cracking when I fold it? Ive adjusted the pressure so much on my Wizard machine, and no matter what the paper just cracks.

Dan360

Could just be the paper. You could try scoring it perpendicular to what you are now and see if its an issue with the grain. Also check to see if it cracks when you fold it the other way, scores typically want to be folded in one direction. Pics might help.

FlorenceC

Coffee first. Your problems later.
This may require returning your current batch of paper and asking for the same size but cut in the other direction OR reformatting your multi-up to print at a right angle to your current layout, but paper grain direction makes a huge difference. Other than that, it comes down to overall quality of the paper (including length of grain), coating, age of the stock.

MacD

Sometimes scoring is not enough, need to be a crease male and female. Most likely scoring will only help if it is the right grain for the paper.

Kbrecken

I agree with MacD, I do a tonne of box prototyping and run into this all the time, especially when I print UV direct,

The problem with scoring on any digital cutting system, is the scores are not nearly as definitive as if were scored on a cylinder press or a clamshell, what's missing is the matrix.

You can try creating a template out of a thin sheet of MDF and router out the score locations, which would allow the crease wheel a deeper bite into the material, also be aware of the grain direction of your stock, changing the orientation of the grain might help minimize the cracking, as will lowering your total ink coverage.

On a high end piece, with a low quantity situation I've had to switch up from printing direct and print on a economy permanent decal + overlam and mount to the substraight, then cut/score on the backside, that usually eliminates the cracking altogether.