• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Paper material for covering bed of new flatbed printer?

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
Hi guys, new to the printing world here. We finally brought our printing in house and we are off and running lol. Earlier this year during my research into printers, i had someone tell me they use a thin paper product that they cover their printing bed with. The material still allows the vacuum to pull thru it to hold material in place but you would have a paper covered printing surface. Idea is to be able to do you test prints and nozzle checks right on the bed as well as color swatches for color matching and so on. Anyone have any idea what material that would be and where to get it? Curious how many people do something similar to this as well. Thanks!

We use drafting paper (white) off the roll and kraft paper (brown), also off the roll. The kraft paper is good for just priming or whatever and the white is good to make registration prints or to see what the color looks like. Both allow the vacuum to do what it does best. lol You just have to be sure it's completely flat and to tape it down on at least two sides so the wing sensor doesn't catch.

lgroth

We use rolls of newsprint type paper... it's thin and cheap as heck. Made a wheeled cart to hold rolls, just wheel it to the printer and pull it across the bed. White, so it prints shape files good for placement, cutouts are easy...

sdcali619

Will the vacuum have good suction with just the paper over the table? For example, if I want to print an already cut out circle. Would I need to use painters tape to cover the entire zone, or will the piece you want to print and the paper be sufficient to cover the zone?