• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Paper Or Plastic?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What application do you use? Paper or plastic?

I've for a decade used paper because long ago plastic was twice as expensive. I was browsing Fellers and saw TransferRite 1320 for same cost as my paper rolls. I tried it and it seems so much better then paper. The vinyl sticks nicely to it when peeling the paper backing, and once applied it releases from substrate without me moaning and groaning with the occasional scream when I rip the paper and lunge backwards.

This was the first time I ventured out of my application tape routine and I was wonder what everyone else uses?

SignosaurusRex

I prefer paper over plastic for most transactions. Paper is usually more disposable and leaves no footprint ...oh wait...oops...
I use the plastic for some applications, but very little. R-tape Conform RLA 4075 is the mainstay around here.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
+1 on the R Tape. I don't have to do much application any more, but it's definitely my preferred brand and line, other than 3M.

hcardwell93

I use RTape for most applications, including decals that a client will install.

I love plastic for layering, banners and other flimsy materials. I dislike plastic for the static and its more prone to wrinkling when taping.

printhog

Some Plastic has issues with wet application, very noticeable on glass. Freaking horrible.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Val47

We use R tape. We don't do a lot of layered vinyl, but occasionally it's necessary. I recently had trouble lining up a layered project, and some one suggested clear transfer tape. No experience myself, but my boss hates it. A buddy gave me some to try out, and for a certain project on deck, I'm really liking it. Makes It much easier to line up.
I'm interested in hearing more about transfer tape and all of the varieties. Pros and cons

Andy D

I haven't used clear in a long time because it was horrible, can't remember all of the issues I had with it, but I think if I rolled up the graphics, it would tunnel on the backing when un-rolled...
Maybe it has gotten better, I might give it a try.

Andy D

One thing though, if the vinyl want's to come away from the substrate, due to the temperature, wet application, or whatever,
I like to wet the paper application tape to make it release easier, that can't be done with plastic.

Andy D

Shhhhh, this one is top secret.
But really, I'm surprised at how many folks do not realize that after a wet install on a humid day, you know the kind of day where the letters slide around like pucks on an ice rink, you can wet the mask with rapid tac, and make it nearly fall off the window. There is a certain point between wetting it and it drying out that the adhesive reactivates with a vengeance though...
The one caveat: It has to be quality transfer tape, I got some in one time (don't remember the brand) that when you wet it, the paper would come away from it's adhesive, one little piece at a time.

SignEST

I tried clear a few times and it just sucked. Probably my own failure to use it correctly but my god did it suck major balls for glass installations. I usually soaked my paper mask with soapy water and the thing let go pretty easy. Used to use paper mask for lots of office vinyl frosting on large 5ft+ pieces but I quickly realize how much of a PITA it is to remove it afterwards. Stopped using mask completely for basic shapes and learned to not scratch or tear anything with my squeegee. Got myself a weed mister filled with soapy water to do 1 man installations without worrying about the adhesive setting.

Hated the smell of rapid tac. Makes me want to vomit for some reason.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I only use plastic for layering or sometimes smaller customer installed.
That's what I'm using it for. It's just the logo with two colors. Decals for work trucks. We would normally do a print cut and wouldn't bother with layering, but one of the colors is metallic. I use registration marks to line things up. This clear stuff makes it a lot easier than the R tape we use for everything else.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
That's what I'm using it for. It's just the logo with two colors. Decals for work trucks. We would normally do a print cut and wouldn't bother with layering, but one of the colors is metallic. I use registration marks to line things up. This clear stuff makes it a lot easier than the R tape we use for everything else.
Clear tape is for amateurs