• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PC can't find SP540V

Kendo

My IT/network ignorance is driving me nuts!
I recently replaced the main board in my SP540V and now I'm trying to upgrade the firmware to 7.3 & set up the printer.
The priter is connected by ethernet cable.
I'm running the old 1.2 version of VersaWorks but it has worked perfectly in the past.
If I run Roland Net Tool on my PC , it tells me the IP address of the printer is 169.254.223.023 the result line reads;
169.254.223.023 Version/9.6.6 Printer/Blank (this should read SP540V) Port Status/OK Protocol/IP Hardware/00:c0:eb:08:d5:f2
If I ping the IP address I get a confirmation reply.
If I go to Versaworks/Printer/settings and attempt to upgrade the Firmware, when I enter the above IP address and hit Verify, I get the response "Cannot find info for the detected device. Please make sure the software supports this device"
This suggests that the printer has been 'found' but the PC can't communicate with it... :banghead:
Any suggestions???

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
That IP looks to me like a generic IP that windows will generate if the network or device is not available. 99% of the time most internal network IP's start with 192.168.XX.XX.

I would log into your router and check the devices connected list. The printer should show up in the DHCP list. I would not recommend using DHCP for the printer's IP as the IP can change. I would assign a static IP to the printer (aka outside the DHCP). Without getting into a whole network setup tutorial. Basically the router chooses and hands out IP #s when it is asked(aka DHCP), but when a router is told what IP a computer wants it says ok you can have that IP "IF" it is out of the DHCP range.

1. Log into your router and check and setup your DHCP range. This is the # of computers or devises that will automatically be assigned IP's. This can be any number you need it to be. If you don't want to setup all the devices and computers to static IP's then make sure the range is large enough to handle all your devices.
Do some reading on network setup on your router and network equipment.

2. On the printer. Go through the menu and locate System Info/Network/IP Address. I have a SP-540i, so that is what I have to go off of.
You need to change the printer's IP to a 192.168.XXX.XXX. Make sure the IP is outside the DHCP range. Then hit Enter and then Menu to get back to the original screen on the printer.

3. Open VW and go to Printer/Printer Settings. Enter the same IP that you entered on the printer itself. I am using VW 4.11 so it is probably a bit different that 1.2. Hit the Verify Button and it should find the printer.

You should be good to go. If I missed anything I do apologize, it has been a while since I did my install.

sp540vguy

Hello Mike I saw your suggestion you place today...I have an issue seems the techs think it might be my network board, which lights up fine and recognizes the print server as roland print server but does not show the model sp540-v when rebuilt, also they think it might be the main board...what do you think?, thank in advance!

sp540vguy

They also said they can try to initialize the main board??? Man I really need to get this printer going, hope someone can help!

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I am by no means a Roland Tech. I have owned my fair share of Roland products over the years and I am pretty tech savvy, but I don't know anything about the main boards on these printers.

I would suggest going through the network setup in the manual. Set the IP on the printer. Set the IP in the software. Use the install CD's that are needed. And you might have to call a tech to come out. Most of the larger suppliers have techs that can do installs and setups.

sp540vguy

Well it won't just be a couple hundred bucks and it won't be guaranteed...but I guess thats what im going to have to do...I will post later what happened, thanks for replies....

Gabriel

Good point Mike

Just do what Mike told you and everything should be just fine. That IP is strange :).

sp540vguy

Got it to communicate....some what

Anyone know how to set parameters manually? Anyone got peck.exe? Let me know I appreciate the input.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
On my SP-540i you use the printer's buttons. That is the only way to get the printer on your network. Then once you set the IP on the printer then you can connect with your software.

Roland

Hi

Why nobody discuss about PrintServer NetTool? It is a very good soft to identify IDs of printing machines.
If anyone needs peck, printserver nettool, just ask. I can provide that soft to you.

Cheers!