• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PDF page size issues

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I'm very new to CorelDraw... we require it for a new machine as Illustrator cannot export PLT files.

The biggest issue I'm having is that when we open PDF files, it seems to ignore the page size completely and uses A4 as the default.
Is there any way to configure it so Corel will set the page size the same as the PDF file?
CDR files open correctly, so I'm thinking we've missed something but I can't see it in the settings.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Figured it out... for some reason dragging files into Corel treats it as an Import rather than Open procedure, leading to the default page size being used.
Very annoying as I like to drop multiple jobs in at once and get working.
I have to re-train myself to use the File -> Open menu now which will slow things down a bit.
This behaviour is horrible and inconsistent with how virtually every other piece of software is written.

unclebun

It's importing because a pdf file is not the native file type for Corel Draw. It is in Illustrator, as they are both Adobe products.

If you save the files as .cdr files you can drop them onto a corel draw icon and open them that way. But if you try to drop the .cdr file on Illustrator nothing will happen.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
For a brief time several years ago Adobe Illustrator was able to open/import CDR files, but Adobe removed the capability due to technical problems. One experience I had was Illustrator completely locked up when I tried opening a CDR file. Then it refused to launch after that. Worse yet, none of the other Adobe applications that were installed would launch either. I had to uninstall everything Adobe-related, delete left over folders and any other trash left behind then re-install the applications clean before Illustrator would work again.

Not many other graphics applications have any CDR import capability either. Inkscape is one of the few that comes to mind, and its CDR import capability is limited.

When I drag a PDF into the CorelDRAW window it opens the PDF contents into a window with the default document settings for CorelDRAW. If I drag the PDF into an open CDR document window it will drop the contents into that open CDR document.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
For a brief time several years ago Adobe Illustrator was able to open/import CDR files, but Adobe removed the capability due to technical problems. One experience I had was Illustrator completely locked up when I tried opening a CDR file. Then it refused to launch after that. Worse yet, none of the other Adobe applications that were installed would launch either. I had to uninstall everything Adobe-related, delete left over folders and any other trash left behind then re-install the applications clean before Illustrator would work again.

Not many other graphics applications have any CDR import capability either. Inkscape is one of the few that comes to mind, and its CDR import capability is limited.

When I drag a PDF into the CorelDRAW window it opens the PDF contents into a window with the default document settings for CorelDRAW. If I drag the PDF into an open CDR document window it will drop the contents into that open CDR document.

Thanks, we get the exact same behaviour so at least I'm comforted that it's not just me. I have sorted out the workaround so we should be fine from now on.

We would have gone Inkscape instead of Corel, however PLT support was discontinued some time last year when the plugin author sadly passed away. It's near impossible to find the files any more so we just went with Corel.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Inkscape has pretty decent capabilities. As far as I can tell, it's the only free/low-cost vector drawing application with full support of OpenType Variable fonts. I just don't like the user interface. It is very clunky. Every time I use Inkscape it feels like stepping into a time machine back to the 1990's. FWIW, I feel the same way every time I have to use Flexi. I have no problem recommending Inkscape to non-professional users, such as small business owners, who want to create their own vector designs to incorporate into sign projects. I'll also mention Affinity Designer. For my purposes CorelDRAW and Adobe Illustrator are in an entirely different league (and, IMHO, Illustrator is pulling farther ahead).