• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Discussion Perf Cut

massivewire

I am just wondering what perf cut settings you have had the most success with when producing die cut stickers.

I am printing and cutting on a Roland Sp 300v using versaworks so its the versaworks perf cut settings I am asking about?

SlikGRFX

Sorry not sure about perf cut, I never used it on my VersaCamm, but I know guys who run their versacamms without the cutting strip to produce die cut stickers. Set up the die cut line manually with small bridges so that the decals don't drop out, then pop them out afterwards.

Lindsey

Not A New Member
Hi massivewire,

I perf cut vinyl+lam decals on our Roland SP-540V using Versaworks. I struggled a lot at first to get good results, but I found using a 60° blade (vs. a 45° blade) made a big difference. I cut at speed of 6cm/s. Knife depth (gf) depends on the specific materials used (as well as the sharpness/dullness of the blade I'm using that day), but I usually set the force to about 170gf - 220gf for the perf. For rectangular shaped decals, I often set up the file so that the perf line of 1 decal exactly overlaps the perf line of the next decal (so it cuts the same line twice). I'd rather have extra deep cuts, and have to pickup the decals off the floor, than trim by hand afterwards if the cut wasn't deep enough. Lastly, I do the decals in small batches, usually 3' of length or less. That way if the cut results aren't so great, I can tweak the perf cut settings for the next batch.

equippaint

IIRC there's a good youtube video on setting it up on a 300 or 540. The pressure you will have to play with of course, the perf length also depending on the size of what you are cutting. I bought some extra cutting strips and blades to cut a little heavier which made it a little easier. I found it to be a big PITA and quit fooling with it.

TimToad

In concept, I love the idea and the finished product we hand off looks better, but all the extra time involved massaging the settings, running test cuts, etc. makes me doubt its worth the extra effort. We just tried to do a perf cut on some laminated IJ35C and even setting the perf cut pressure to 300 wasn't enough to make it go through the liner, so I gave up and simply cut the contour line on the printer and stripped them out by hand like we usually do.

Maybe our offset wasn't right or we needed to run them a second time, but the question I have is if we have the contour cut line in the same file as the perf cut line, how do you only contour cut once but do the perf cut twice?

SlikGRFX

Can you put two perf cut lines on top of each other? Copy all the PerfCut paths then paste them on top. I know it works with CutContour...I ruined a few jobs this way :)

equippaint

If you cut the perf cut line twice it will usually be off just enough to cut the little tabs that hold the material together. Then the stuff pops up and the carriage hits it or the pinch roller hits an empty spot and crunches your paper up and jams the machine. You can contour cut first then perf cut the same line so it takes a little less force on the perf.

TimToad

If you cut the perf cut line twice it will usually be off just enough to cut the little tabs that hold the material together. Then the stuff pops up and the carriage hits it or the pinch roller hits an empty spot and crunches your paper up and jams the machine. You can contour cut first then perf cut the same line so it takes a little less force on the perf.

Thanks for the suggestion.

We keep trying to do the perf cut an 1/8" or so outside of the contour cut, but it makes sense to do it right over the contour line.

Apprints

Sorry not sure about perf cut, I never used it on my VersaCamm, but I know guys who run their versacamms without the cutting strip to produce die cut stickers. Set up the die cut line manually with small bridges so that the decals don't drop out, then pop them out afterwards.
Just wondering what the advantage of not using the cut strip would be??

Apprints

Hi massivewire,

I perf cut vinyl+lam decals on our Roland SP-540V using Versaworks. I struggled a lot at first to get good results, but I found using a 60° blade (vs. a 45° blade) made a big difference. I cut at speed of 6cm/s. Knife depth (gf) depends on the specific materials used (as well as the sharpness/dullness of the blade I'm using that day), but I usually set the force to about 170gf - 220gf for the perf. For rectangular shaped decals, I often set up the file so that the perf line of 1 decal exactly overlaps the perf line of the next decal (so it cuts the same line twice). I'd rather have extra deep cuts, and have to pickup the decals off the floor, than trim by hand afterwards if the cut wasn't deep enough. Lastly, I do the decals in small batches, usually 3' of length or less. That way if the cut results aren't so great, I can tweak the perf cut settings for the next batch.
What about your other perf settings.
Like perf length and any of the other things that might be pertinent?
I use 1.5 for perf length and .005 for half length. What are you setting those at?

SlikGRFX

Just wondering what the advantage of not using the cut strip would be??

If you regularly cut through the vinyl and backing paper, the cutting strip wears quickly and makes the blade blunt. Without the strip, the blade punches straight through the material.

Goatshaver

I've been doing nothing but perf cuts. Obviously the pressure settings will depend on material used. When I do them I do a contour cut on top of my perf cut just makes it a little cleaner cut. I have struggled with what perf length and cut lengths to use on certain size cuts. I definitely use a 60 degree blade, it made the cutting much easier and yes, be ready to use some cutting strips.

shacho

I have a Roland XR-640 pro 4 and I am struggling with this as well. In Versaworks 6 you are only allowed a maximum half cut force of 80. I am using Oracal 3164 high tack with an overlam which requires much more force than that. I know if Versaworks 5 you could set the half cut for up to 300gf. I would go back to Versaworks 5 but now that I have upgraded my firmware for Versaworks 6. I now cannot use Versaworks 5. Anybody have a solution?