• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Performing Head Soak

Team Valhalla

Got a question...

I'm attempting my first head soak. I manually moved the capping stations down, moved the print heads over, and filled the Black capping station with cleaning solution.

Now, when moving the capping station back up, there's an assembly behind the capping stations, that's being guided by two vertical guide pins. When the capping stations touch the print heads, there's still about a 1/4 inch of travel left. Do I continue to rotate the shaft with the hand tool "all the way" back up - until it won't rotate any more or just until the heads kiss off against the capping stations.

I know that the capping stations "float" a bit, so I'm guessing I should turn it all the way in?

Thanks in advance.

SP

player

It has been some time for me, but I recall there is a routine to adjust the cap height... When the printer is in that mode, you adjust the caps until they are about 1/8" below the heads. Then when you are done the printer moves the caps up onto the heads.

I never adjust the caps manually when doing a head soak. I pinch off the cap lines so the fluid does not drain out. I press the head height setting, which puts the heads to the left of the caps for about 1 minute. I add the fluid, hit the return and when the heads are capped again I turn the printer off so the pump won't run.

El Barto

I do it with the unit unplugged so it won't decide to clean itself and suck all the fluid out of the caps. Player's approach about using the head height to move them without initiating a clean is a good one, but if you're going to soak overnight it'll probably clean itself at some point ending the soaking.

And I'll raise the heads up until there's some resistance.

player

I do it with the unit unplugged so it won't decide to clean itself and suck all the fluid out of the caps. Player's approach about using the head height to move them without initiating a clean is a good one, but if you're going to soak overnight it'll probably clean itself at some point ending the soaking.

And I'll raise the heads up until there's some resistance.

After I use the head height to fill the caps up with cleaner, I hit enter, the heads return, recap, then I turn it off. The cap lines are pinched off to prevent the cleaner from draining out.