• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photo editing software?

Imakesigns

I have recently decided to purchase my first photo editing software, but i dont know which ones are good. All I want to do is impose my signs over pictures of the place they go. I have seen a member Graphixtreme do this and that looked pretty good. Which program is that? Please no $5k programs!

ChiknNutz

It's hard to beat CorelDraw Suite for a great all-around package that is both relatively inexpensive AND powerful. With it you get CorelDraw (vector program similar to Adobe Illustrator), Photo-Paint (photo-editing similar to Adobe Photoshop), Corel R.A.V.E. (for designing web elements, but i don't use), CorelTrace (traces bitmap images to produce vector images), a pile of pretty good quality fonts and Bitstream Font Navigator (decent program for organizing all those fonts).

If you're gonna use it for making images to cut in vinyl, you can also get a good cutter plug-in called CoCut (go for the Pro version for sure). CoCut will also support Illustrator, FreeHand and AutoCAD if the need arises.

Imakesigns

I already have VE LXi Expert, and thats about it. I like the way that program works for me because it is easy to use and has quite a few good features. The only reason I am using it, though, is because it came with the cutter. By the way the Lynx cutter has been a pretty good value for me. I didn't have the money to go any nicer and I was worried about buying the "cheaper" cutter, but it has worked out well. I would strongly recommend Master or Master Plus software if you purchase a starter kit. I am going to get a copy of corel draw suite, but what would be the cheapest version I could go with? Remember, it would only be for imposing my creations onto pictures. HaHa, but also, is there a place to get the good commercial fonts cheap? I know some of them are worth $20-30, but I want like maybe $5-10. Just starting out!

ChiknNutz

Go find a copy of Corel version 9 (for like $30) and then buy the upgrade version of 12 for somewhere around $150 or so. Go to MyFonts.com and see what they have. Some are inexpensive, but most are around $15 - $30. Signfonts.com (link below) has some excellent ones, too, and you'll get the price you're looking for if you buy in a package. You'll be surprised at how many good ones do come with Corel. But, you still should pick up a new one every so often from like SignDNA or Letterhead Fonts.

Steve C.

Hey Chris, Have you used corel Photo Paint much and do you (or anyone) know how it compairs to Photoshop? Now that we are doing digital printing I have considered Photoshop, but it is so expensive and I have PhotoPaint but have not used it much.

ChiknNutz

I use PhotoPaint fairly often, but primarily for basic stuff and have never really used Photoshop to speak of. I just found out that Alien Skin Eye Candy will work with PhotPaint and downloaded the demo last night. It says it needs to be used with Photoshop, but it does indeed work. I guess they must use a common interface. That's a cool thing because of all the effects Eye Candy will do.

seaviewsigns

i use photoshop every day and haven't used corel. look at all the options for what these guys have recommended, but don't count photoshop out just yet. from what i've heard, you can import photoshop into any print/cut program. but, like i said, i haven't tried it. i've also heard that adobe is making another update to the latest illustrator that will incorporate almost all of the things photoshop can do (airbrush, blur, photo retouching) and still keep things vector based. hopefully it will be sooner than later. i've thought illustrator and photoshop were going to become one in the same for a while now, it just takes time to flop it all together i guess.

Cory
Sea View Signs

Mark L

I've used both corel 10 and now I have photoshop cs Personally I rather Photoshop, took me a while to learn, but now its amazing what can be done

Not putting down corel, but I think Photoshop in the long run is the way to go.

Steve C.

OK, I gather from all this, that they are simular but Photoshop is better. Like I said, I have PhotoPaint, so I'll work at learning to use it. Then when I have an extra $500 laying around I'll get Photoshop.I have been tempted to buy from one of the OEM Companies, but probably not a good idea.

I have Flexi Pro and the LXI both made from the same company and same software. What your going to want to do is buy a digital camera if you don't have one already and save the pic as a jpeg. Measure something in that pic, like the wall (say 20') import that pic in what ever program u use i.e. corel. scale out 1'=1" and expand that pic that big. in the same window do your sign in realtime measurements but keep the pic close by. finish your sign and then make a copy and scale down. Open a different window where you will want to make a perm sign proposal template 8.5"x11" example. paste that pic with the scaled down sign in it and scale that down to in proportions to (say 6" width) hopefully that will fit everything in with your verbage and descriptions. THis can be done in corel, or the other ones I listed. That way when your done you will get your sign as accurate as you can to the spot it will be placed. But as far as actual photo editing, Photoshop Owns.

I will usually use PS if I need to remove trees, bushes and banners for placing my electric signs.

Hope that shed some light

In then if you want to get fancy and professional about it. Buy a copy of Adobe acrobat. maybe you use excel or word to make your contracts. Export or save those as .pdf files. save your proposal as maybe a jpeg. Use Acrobat and "use from multiple files" import those 2 (contract & Proposal). now save as a pdf file. Now you have yourself a universal file that you can email and anyone can open. Very professional and pretty acurate if they go to print.

Makes you look like you know what your doing.

pssss! damn I'm good
headbang.gif

Sometimes I wonder if I'm shooting myself in the foot

ChiknNutz

Or get the PDF creator (and some other stuff) from Software995.com. The whole suite of goodies is only $20 or $30. I use it all the time to make PDF invoices and the like.