• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop CS2 question

Brendan

I know this is relatively easy which is precisely why I am struggling with it.

I design something in PS... when I bring it into Flexi or any other software for that matter, the item has that fringe of white pixels around it. Whats the workaround here?
Thanks in advance.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
A number of programs, including Flexi, do not deal with transparency or unflattened images very well. What is needed is to create a vector of the shape of the image and then use it as a mask in Flexi.

You can do this in Photoshop by selecting the image and then converting it to a workpath. Export "Paths to Illustrator" and you have the AI vector you need.

luggnut

brendan what are you doing.... bringing in the PSD into flexi and then adding it to other art or over the top of vectors?

in PS are you seperating something froma background then bringing to flexi?

the method fred recommended works but on some things such as a subjects hair seperated from the background may be impossible to put a vector around it to mask and it look good. a lot of things like that i start in flexi or illustrator to get the vectors and text the way i want... then export that to PS and add the images.. then save as a jpg, tiff and send to the rip. using this method i still have the vector and text in a very editable format that i can go back to if i need to change something in the PS file.

Brendan

thanks lug... Ive had issues with both methods. right now im trying to photoshop my logo and save it for the top of each of my webpages... when i bring it into the editing software, it has that crappy jagged edge.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
That's a whole different animal.

If you're trying to create a web image that displays with no background then you have only two choices.

GIF can be used which is a low quality image that works in many cases. To control the edges, select a black or white fringe mat to compliment blending into your web page background.

PNG can be used which is a much higher quality image. It works well with current browsers but will fail to display properly with IE 5 and IE 6 browsers.

Whichever way you go, you're probably best off to bring everything into Photoshop and forget Flexi. When you save the image, make sure to use the Save for Web command and then choose GIF or PNG24.

luggnut

what program are you using for the web stuff?

here is something copied from the adobe help file about this

Remove fringe pixels from a selection

<!--googleoff: index--><!-- END PAGE TITLE --><!-- BEGIN CONTENT WRAPPER --> <!--googleon: index--> When you move or paste an anti-aliased selection, some of the pixels surrounding the selection border are included with the selection. This can result in a fringe or halo around the edges of the pasted selection. These Matting commands let you edit unwanted edge pixels:

• Defringe replaces the color of any fringe pixels with the color of pixels farther in from the edge of the selection that don’t contain the background color.
  • Remove Black Matte and Remove White Matte are useful when a selection is anti‑aliased against a white or black background and you want to paste it onto a different background. For example, anti‑aliased black text on a white background has gray pixels at the edges, which are visible against a colored background.
    tip_help.png
    You can also remove fringe areas by using the Advanced Blending sliders in the Layer Styles dialog box to remove, or make transparent, areas from the layer. In this case, you would make the black or white areas transparent. Alt-click (Windows) or Option-click (Mac OS) the sliders to separate them; separating the sliders allows you to remove fringe pixels and retain a smooth edge.
could also be matting.... go to layer, than all the way done is matting ... chose remove white matting

Brendan

Thanks guys... by my own admission... I am no webmaster. I am using an end user program called webeasy pro. When I pull in a .gif and preview the site, it totally distorts. I will try the png like you suggested Fred.

CherokeeDesign

Do you have a sample of your logo? Usually I do what luggnut posted, go to Layer > Matting > Defringe. You can adjust the number of pixels it removes.

If it's a raster image like a photo, I have the best results saving as a .jpg or .png. If I create a simple button etc, saving as a .gif works best. .gif's can be finicky with effects like gradients, drop shadows, complex graphics etc. If you're putting your logo over a solid color area, sometimes you can change the background to the same color if you want to save it as a .jpg.

I wanted to do these cards as .gif's, so they would have the transparent background and I could layer them over the background: http://www.odcustomtattoo.com/otool-tattoo-artists.html I wasn't happy with the result, so I "cheated" and saved them as .jpg's with the template as the background.