• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PhotoShop experts...help please.

threeputt

Purchased Fantastic Fills, which is a library of .bmp textures. Tried for an hour last nite to figure out how to add them to my texture folder as a preset in PhotoShop 7.0. The default textures seem to all have .pat extension on them and these of course are .bmp. What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.

kendallcole

Purchased Fantastic Fills, which is a library of .bmp textures. Tried for an hour last nite to figure out how to add them to my texture folder as a preset in PhotoShop 7.0. The default textures seem to all have .pat extension on them and these of course are .bmp. What am I doing wrong?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Open your bitmap, "Edit->define pattern"

or drop them in your texture folder found at C:/program files/adobe/photoshop 7.0/presets/textures (somthing like that)

Or put your bitmap in a seperate layer, throw the "selection only" of your text or whatever you want filled on top of it, and crop it out. Or copy and paste it for a new.

More than one way to skin a cat.

threeputt

That doesn't seem to work, even though I did load 'em. When you want to "fill" and object with a .bmp, how do you go about doing that?

kendallcole

That doesn't seem to work, even though I did load 'em. When you want to "fill" and object with a .bmp, how do you go about doing that?

Well if its a tiled pattern/texture, heres how I would do it. After I define the pattern, it will be loaded into my preset. Im not sure why thats not working for you(?). Then I would grab the paint bucket and just fill it like I would if it was a color, but under options, choose "pattern" instead of "foreground" then you pick the pattern you want, and it will tile up into whatever your filling. OR you could achieve this by using a pattern overlay (found under layer styles or blending options). Its just like you would do a color overlay, but select pattern instead under your options.

This will work, even if your pattern isnt seamless, as long as you dont exceed your fill outline versus your bitmap. But you dont have much control as to what part of the texutre you want to go where. So if you have a specfic spot in your bitmap that you want to use, heres how I would do it.

Lets say your filling some text.

1) type your text into a layer
2) insert your bitmap into a layer
3) hold shift and click on your text layer(in the layer window) to "select" it. (you might have to rasterize to achieve this, i dont remember.)
4) then while keeping your selection lines on, click onto the bitmap layer. Move your selection layer around with the arrow keys to the desired section then CTRL+C that bad boy and paste it into a new layer. - in order to move selection lines, you need to be on the selection button on your main tools.

warning: After you do this, your text layer will be rasterized, and you wont be able to edit it anymore. So its a good idea to save a "editable" version of your layout as well. Or keep an extra layer with the text, just hide it or something.

hope this makes sense.