• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Photoshop scale?

Double Diamond

We need a basic scale or adjustment we should use to create files in photoshop. I have been using AI for years and have now hired an experienced photoshop person who is new to signs. At full size 300 dpi with several photos, the file is nearly 700 meg. We are considering doing at 10% scale or 1/4 scale, then increase and make the print file... but rather than experement, I thought someone may give us the correct formula that's been working for you.
We typically output to our Roland SP 540v. I am also curiuos what you save the print file as, tiff, jpg, eps?
I hope this question is easily answered and I want you to know it is very appreciated. We are an experienced sign co, just new to photoshop.
Many thanks for your valuable time. DD:thankyou:

rfulford

300 ppi is way too high for typical wide format output. 150 ppi is the norm for wide format inkjet printing. You can get by with less as your viewing distance increases if need be. As far as scale goes, I only use 100% and 10%. 10% scale is the easiest for everyone since you just move the decimal 1 place to change the scale. Be sure you increase your resolution if you design at scale. If you need 150 ppi at 100%, you need 1500 ppi at 10%.

MikeD

depends on the intended viewing distance of your finished print. if it's a billboard viewed at 75mph & 50' away, you could drop your image/print res down. if it's a decal being viewed at arm's length, use a higher ppi/dpi.
outof the 3 formats you listed, jpg uses compression whereas tiff and eps don't compress unless you want them to. (for printing in my particular workflow I use eps; lot's of printers prefer .pdf)
hope that gives some help...Good Luck!

phototec

If you need 150 ppi at 100%, you need 1500 ppi at 10%.

I don't get it?

A Photoshop file 150 ppi at 100% and 1500 ppi at 10% are exactly the same size file, so what are you trying to accomplish by going to 10% at 1500 ppi?

Both take the same amount of resources from Photoshop.

A 10" x 10" PS file at 150 ppi = 6.44 MB

A 1" x 1" PS file at 1500 ppi = 6.44 MB

:help

rfulford

A Photoshop file 150 ppi at 100% and 1500 ppi at 10% are exactly the same size file, so what are you trying to accomplish by going to 10% at 1500 ppi?

The OP said he wanted to work at scale so I was just providing an example of how the resolution needs to increase if you work at scale.

4R Graphics

Scaling makes no differance to file size.

Now We design at full scale so no worries about something not getting scaled right.

As for size if your doing wraps or other large graphics that typically are viewed from a 10' or more distance then 75 to 100 dpi in photshop at full scale is plenty if its up close like POP on a counter 150 to 300 dpi there is really no reason to go over 300.

In fact I learned this years ago here on the forum from K6 Media.

With our printers theres really no reason to ever go over 150 dpi Most everything we print is done at 75dpi.

Try this and you will see design something at full scale in 300, 150 and 75 dpi and then print them with the same profile and same print res 750X750 540x1080 6 pass bi directional what ever you print the most at and you will see that you really cant see any difference between them especially between 75 and 150 the only thing that you will get is a much bigger file size.