• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Phototex fail

Bly

We have had a couple of sample prints on Phototex in our foyer for about six months, printed on our Roland Soljets.
They looked great but the last month or so I noticed the inks getting soft and feeling sticky to the touch, and rubbed off easily.
Yesterday the aircon drain blocked up and dripped water all down one of the prints.
I wiped the runs with a rag and the ink came completely off where the water had been!
Just a heads up people. I will redo a couple more on our HP25500 and see how they hold up.

never heard of phototex failing like that before! we have some sample prints in our office, have been perfect for us........so far! maybe get ahold of the phototex rep on this forum, i'm sure they would want to know about it.

autumn06s

Hi,
I have similar problem and started a thread few months ago:
http://www.signs101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86590

Liquid Lam is highly recommended for solvent or eco-solvent. See reply from PhotoTex.

"
Hello, Let me answer these questions. If you are using Solvent or Eco-Solvent ink, you can scratch into the ink as the solvent does not carry the same characteristics as the UV, Water Base or Latex. So we do recommend liquid lamination in high traffic areas when using Solvent Ink and also for outdoor use (again Solvent only). Now if you want to wipe the material with a damp cloth, then again we recommend you use liquid laminate with any ink. We really do not get any complaints concerning people scratching into the material though. But you can always e-mail me. I will do my best to take care of any questions! Walter Jr. President Photo Tex Group
"

Hope this helps.
Andrew

jasonx

We had a sample outdoors for about 4 months without any real problems printed using solvent. We've had issues printing with the L25500 and not having the ink rub off.

jfiscus

Rap Master
Haven't used any in about a year, but at the old shop we printed some and put it on a box truck advertising for an annual event in the summer. We took it off the truck after a month outside (sun/rain/etc) and put it back on the backer. The next year we reapplied it to the truck and it sat outside for a month again with no issues. Removed it again and stored it back on the backer, finally through it away a couple months ago when we were informed it wasn't going to be used again. This was printed on a SP540v with no lam.

I have scratched it before when using a hard squeegee, always just applied it with a felt block after that.

hmm.. I just got some samples this week and stuck a 18" x 36" printed design no lam. to my wall and it turned out awesome.. I'll just have to see how it holds up.. But initially I was Highly impressed with the materiel.

cajun312

I used phototex to make some contour cut numbers for a Corvette owner who would attend some autocrosses and track days.
They worked great for autocross but on the track they blew off at 140 mph....he was kind of proud of that ha ha