• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pics of my shop

geb

Looks really nice, Ernie. You have some beautiful work and nice showrooms. Looks like you have alot to offer in the sign trade from vinyl to routed signs, and much more. Nice setup.

George

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Looks great Ernie.

Not sure what the problem is, but every time I navigate using your links I get a 404 Page Error. Clicking the back button in my browser then lets the correct page display.

ernie

Fred,
Thanks, I didn't notice the problem.
The site is hosted by Cadlink. It's a 1yr free bonus for buying signlab7. Although it is very easy to setup and upload pictures, the system stability and site uptime has been less than outstanding.

I'll let them know about this issue.

ernie

ernie

Thanks for all the nice comments, I really need to keep the shop cleaner, but I hate to throw stuff out.

The crate is still useful, we stood it up on end and put shelves in it. Now it stores my tool box and power tools.

ernie

E

exsigns

hello ernie,

can you tell us more about building vacuum hold down system?
Thanks,
Stan

ernie

I constructed the vacuum table like an air hocky table, except I used 2 4x8 sheets of 3/4" MDF. I used the router to drill a hole every 6" in the table. These holes were plugged with automatic "ball valves" so there are no air leaks to reduce the vacuum. A grid pattern of adhesive weather stripping is used to isolate each "ball valve".

I can place a sign blank anywhere on the table and it is held in place automatically.

The best feature is that the design is so effecient that I use a Fein shopvac instead of a 5-10 hp blower.

ernie

E

exsigns

hello Ernie, I hope I will not ask for too much... i'm looking to get one of this systems for my self from practicalcnc.... can you please post more detailed pictures on a vacuum hold down sysytem and pictures of it's main parts... valves... connection...etc. Also if you would a step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

Thanks,
stan

dennis j

Chris, when I need to cut through I use transfer tape on the bottom side this also helps to hold small parts in place. For lagre pieces I will use a piece of sacrifical material under the piece that I want to cut.

ernie

Chris,

I use peg board as a layer under parts I cut all the way thru. The advantages of this approach are many:

1) it's cheap. 2) the holes transfer vacuum straight up to the part and minimize leakage to the sides. 3) the rough side really grabs the signfoam. 4) it can be cut to the general size of the sign to eliminate activation of unneeded ball valves. 5) it can be used many times before it's worn out.

Stan,

I was thinking of writing an article on how to build a vacuum table but decided there was not much interest by sign makers.

ernie