• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Picture Lens (for light fixture) Project

IV

Hi: See attached pictures. Shows a picture lens mounted on polycarb and used in a fluorescent/backlit fixture (indoors). Was wondering how to make this:

1st picture shows the "back" side of the lens which would be exposed to the light source.

2nd picture shows the backing white-ish/grayish vinyl that I believe is transluscent but filters the light. I peeled the corner back so you can see. What is this material best you can tell?

3rd picture shows the printed on vinyl. What was this photo printed to give it its best qualities? any suggestions on what is used?

Finally, it seems like there is a clear layer that is adhering between the polycarbonate lens and the picture film (3rd picture film) to adhere the film to the lens. (kind of like a clear double sided sticky tape). Any idea what this is?

We have a customer interested in getting some of their unique photos printed and completed in this manner and am willing to experiment and pursue (and learn along the way of course). Any help from you folks would be most appreciated.

Great forum of folks here with great advise and I'm looking forward to all I can get! Thanks in advance all and thank you for reading my post!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 76
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 95
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 76

JoshLoring

Avery makes an adhesive backlit material that we use that looks just like it but I've never seen a print on the glue side.
If you find out more let me know.

IV

Avery makes an adhesive backlit material that we use that looks just like it but I've never seen a print on the glue side.
If you find out more let me know.

Thanks Josh:

Perhaps I did not explain what I found: the adhesive "was not" on the printed vinyl side, it appeared that there was a dual sided sticky, clear laminate that adhered on one side to the poly carb and the other side was used to secure the printed backlit vinyl (functioned like a double sided sticky tape.

I'm trying to find out what the three layers are and steps needed to apply and things to be wary of when putting together.

I'm trying to find out what the three layers are (

JoshLoring

Pat White said:
I don't think I've ever see anything constructed like that....but is that exact method required by your customer?

Couldn't you reverse print on clear, back with white ink, then back with a translucent white vinyl? (or if you can't print white just skip that step and go right to translucent white vinyl)

It seems to me like you wouldn't get that nice white point without the white prime, but it's hard to tell.

+1

You know, come to think of it, I've printed reverse on clear an backed with translucent vinyl. It actually prints really well. You've gotta get some good quality clear vinyl though.

Or- You could flatbed the clear PVC and back it with translucent.