• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pinch-Grit Rollers Leaving Tracks On 540XC

quikseps

Was breaking in my new 540-XC and am noticing "grit pattern track marks" on the vinyl where the pinch rollers make contact with the vinyl. Is this normal? I can actually see fairly pronounced tracks embossed with the pattern from the lower grit rollers on the vinyl.

ChicagoGraphics

I'm not sure what a 540-XC is, but if it's a cutting plotter it's normal to see track marks on the 2 end pinch rollers. On our cutter you can ajust the tension....

quikseps

The printer is a new Roland SolJet Pro III XC-540 which is a printer/cutter. I don't believe the tension can be adjusted. When I have 54" vinyl loaded into this, we have 7 pinch roller tracks in the film with the pattern of the lower grit rollers in them. Just wondering if this is normal.

Baz

My SC-500 has 4 pinch rollers and i recently tried MacTac's new line of digital print media and it did leave noticeable marks where the middle rollers are located. This has not hapened to me on other medias so i suspect maybee your prob is with the type of material you are printing on. Try something else, another brand. If it does it on all materials i would contact your service rep since i am sure it is not supposed to leave any marks like you are describing.

Kev41

Hello
High temp can cause the problem depends on the vinyl you are using, might be worth trying to lower the temp & see what results you get

Kev

quikseps

This is happening on a few different Oracal calendared vinyls...which is all I have here at the moment. My preheat and print heat settings are 94 degrees and the dryer heat is set to 122 degrees...Roland recommended settings.

javila

I noticed this on our 545EX in the beginning. It happened on some media (cheap media), on the orajet it was hardly noticable. Now I don't ever see it.

quikseps

Possibly the vinyl is too warm when it gets whipped back into the printer for cutting....I'm going to try turning the heat completely off and see what occurs.

quikseps

I was thinking about only turning off the post printing dryer heat...not turning off the pre or print heating....they're only 94 degrees or so which is nothing.

Tomorrow's another day....I'll post the outcome of a few experiments this weekend. Going to pick up some different vinyls and play with the heater settings.

This was one super expensive printer that a ton of guys have, and love so I'm sure there's a solution.

Steve

james2

Let us know what happens.
I have had that occur on my Pro 3 as well, even on banner material.

does not happen all the time.

mediaman

Steve,
I sent you an email with details but you can move the inside rollers away from the silver marks on the roller carraige and they won't come down when the medial clamp lever is lowered. As mentioned, only use the inside rollers for banner or canvas and don't rewind the material until the ink is dry so the roller don't smear heavy ink loads.

quikseps

Well...turns out I only need the two outside rollers when running vinyl so that eliminates the problem of track marks running up the center. I thought I needed at least one additional pinch roller tracking near the middle...guess not.

Regardless, there's no way around these marks on vinyl (I guess) so I won't be running any additonal pinch rollers. I was assured by my rep this doesn't occur on banner materials where I'd want to employ additional pinch rollers.

Have yet to run any banner material yet on this machine.