• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pinchroll errors on Roland SP-540V

Mantaworld

Hi All-I am having this same issue with my SP540V. I've ordered the carriage cable, but my vendor will not allow one of their techs to come out and install it. Does anyone know of resources online with good instructions for DIY?
I appreciate any help/advise.
Carrie
please have a look at the attached file

Attachments

• SP540 Flex Cable Change.pdf
    289.6 KB · Views: 238

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
Hi All-I am having this same issue with my SP540V. I've ordered the carriage cable, but my vendor will not allow one of their techs to come out and install it. Does anyone know of resources online with good instructions for DIY?
I appreciate any help/advise.
Carrie
Hi Carrie,

If you can get your hands on the service manual, it does give you instructions on how to do this. I have had to change them on our SP-300V's a few times over the years and the manual is very helpful. If you are unable to get your hands on it, I would recommend taking the top covers all off the machine and run the new cable with the old one and disconnect and connect as you go, so it all stays the same way.

Goatshaver

Definitely the carriage cable. I had the same issues on mine and had to replace it and worked fine after. Definitely get a manual to see where the cable goes. It's not really hard just a little tricky in spots to get in.

ExtremeG Alamosa

Deeper Detail

Just some deeper detail here...

When the printer is reading the pinch wheels, it uses the pinch wheel sensor which is on the back of the cut carriage. This is transmitted to the servo board via the cut carriage cable.

The sensor that reads the linear encoder strip is on the print carriage. The linear encoder strip is only used by the machine to know where the print carriage is along the linear rail.

You can have a hole in your linear encoder strip, and it will still find the pinch wheels. It just wont print where the hole is... (Yes I've seen this)

I will replace a cut carriage cable in an SP-series machine at least once every few weeks. It's a known issue, and there is a field service note from Roland.

Don't delay in resolving this issue.

~E

BTW... Roland revised the way the cut carriage cable works on the VP and newer machines.
Check that the data cable to the pinch wheel sensor is connected! You will have to have a mirror to see behind the cut carriage. Easy enough to plug back in if you have tiny hands :/