• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pinchroll errors on Roland SP-540V

gabe

hi guys - we've had our machine now for over 4 years - lately we are getting a lot of pinchroll error invalid left position or invalid right position - anyone else have this problem? i need to fix this asap - so any suggestions would be wonderful... i'm quite comfortable in replacing parts on this machine myself - just need to know what the correct parts are and where i can order them from.

Also, anyone else have problems with newer generated PDF / EPS files? is there an upgraded versaworks RIP software available that may fix certain issues with newer illustartor files that use transparencies / drop shadows etc? also files pdf generated from autocad seem to have different colour results... thanks for any help.

gabe

hi jtrube - do you have any instructions on how to clean it - i've read to use alcohol and lint free cloth - any other tips - plus, how often should this strip be cleaned? i believe we haven't cleaned it for about a year - last done by a technician when we had our print heads replaced. thanks

InkjetAuction

It's your cut carriage cable

It's nothing to do with your encoder strip...Your cut carriage cable needs to be replaced.

It's the gray ribbon cable that goes from the cutting carriage all the way back to the servo board. It is sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. These plastic guides should be replaced as well. Eventually every SP-model will have to have this cable assembly replaced.

Basically the continuous back and forth movement will eventually cause tiny breaks in the cable. I have seen it happen on high-use machines within a year, and many average use machines by year three.

The problem initially shows itself with pinchwheel errors. Soon you will have cutting problems...and at some point you won't be able to use the machine at all.

The parts for this repair are cheap enough... usually less than $50 for the cable and guides. It usually takes an experienced tech less than a hour to replace. There is also a teflon tape retro-fit that Roland is promoting. When the plastic guides move back and forth along the rail, it causes a build up of metal dust that gets all over the linear encoder strip, and can also cause the ribbon cable to buckle. Ask your dealer/tech about this.

You should call your dealer for advise on how to handle this routine repair.

~E

Drip Dry

hi jtrube - do you have any instructions on how to clean it - i've read to use alcohol and lint free cloth - any other tips - plus, how often should this strip be cleaned? i believe we haven't cleaned it for about a year - last done by a technician when we had our print heads replaced. thanks

I remember cleaning mine with alcohol and a lint free cloth, but eventually needed to be replaced.
As far as your link... I think that's the wrong part because it indicates 4 are required. There is only one encoder strip.

I don't know about inkjetauctions advice... all I know is that's what fixed my random pinch roll errors.

I suggest talking to your tech before replacing anything and buy the recommended parts through them.

JT

InkjetAuction

Deeper Detail

Just some deeper detail here...

When the printer is reading the pinch wheels, it uses the pinch wheel sensor which is on the back of the cut carriage. This is transmitted to the servo board via the cut carriage cable.

The sensor that reads the linear encoder strip is on the print carriage. The linear encoder strip is only used by the machine to know where the print carriage is along the linear rail.

You can have a hole in your linear encoder strip, and it will still find the pinch wheels. It just wont print where the hole is... (Yes I've seen this)

I will replace a cut carriage cable in an SP-series machine at least once every few weeks. It's a known issue, and there is a field service note from Roland.

Don't delay in resolving this issue.

~E

BTW... Roland revised the way the cut carriage cable works on the VP and newer machines.

DRamm76

Gotta side with InkJetAuction and Ballgame on this one..the rest seem to just want to be "scissoring" or something

gabe

hi guys - ok, bit of a problem - cleaned the encoder strip (it was quite dirty) however still have the same problem - how can I get a replacement carriage cable ASAP - it's a long weekend here in Ontario, Canada and everything is closed - my tech is over 2 hours away so it costs me a couple of hundred bucks just to have them come out - and they won't be open till tuesday - therefore most likely i won't get someone up here until the end of the week - not good as it is our busiest time right now - anyone else have any suggestions of possibly ordering the part online and replacing it myself? or other suggestions... i'm a wee bit desperate... thanks

jonathanff

i have the same problem i clean and replace the parts and i could print but later i had the same problem when i change the material fromo vinyl to mesh

You need to replace the cable - it has a cracked/broken wire and shorts out. Easy to replace...just don't forget to unplug the machine BEFORE working on. This is NOT an encoder strip issue. Since you have the top open, clean your other cable cards that run back and forth, clean the plastic guides and use alcohol to clean.

PJTEXAS

problems with cut carriage reading last pinchwheel

It's nothing to do with your encoder strip...Your cut carriage cable needs to be replaced.

It's the gray ribbon cable that goes from the cutting carriage all the way back to the servo board. It is sandwiched between two pieces of plastic. These plastic guides should be replaced as well. Eventually every SP-model will have to have this cable assembly replaced.

Basically the continuous back and forth movement will eventually cause tiny breaks in the cable. I have seen it happen on high-use machines within a year, and many average use machines by year three.

The problem initially shows itself with pinchwheel errors. Soon you will have cutting problems...and at some point you won't be able to use the machine at all.

The parts for this repair are cheap enough... usually less than $50 for the cable and guides. It usually takes an experienced tech less than a hour to replace. There is also a teflon tape retro-fit that Roland is promoting. When the plastic guides move back and forth along the rail, it causes a build up of metal dust that gets all over the linear encoder strip, and can also cause the ribbon cable to buckle. Ask your dealer/tech about this.

~E

Is this something I can do or do I need to call in a repair tech?

Is this what I need to buy?

Attachments

• 23475238-2.jpg
    23475238-2.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 790
Last edited by a moderator:

vulcan88sp

SP540 will not set at pinch rollers. Errors for right and left pinch rollers.

thanks for the info even years later was correct!! I replaced the cut carriage cable and work perfectly. Not too bad to replace. took about an hour. unplug the printer and keep touching the static bar so you dont short anything out. took off the left housing, the top cover, the cover for the panel and the rear cover behind the panel. if you work carefully thats all you need to take off. make sure you buy the cable, cable guides and the nylon rivets (20 pk) you will need them. we carefully used our pick to pop off the old rivets. removed all of them. then take off the card above the cutter. this is where the wire goes. remove the 3 small wires, just pull the connectors. remove the card with cable attached to the left and take it off. the other end of the cable is hooked to the board on the back of the printer behind the panel. we taped the end of the new wire to the old wire and pulled it back thru the printer to the rear so you can hook it back to the board. make sure you look to see the way its plugged in. one side is blue. hook the new wire to the board and reverse what you just did.. make sure you are careful around the encoder strip.. that clear plastic strip right in front of the cable your replacing. thanks

lucaso

ROLAND SP 540V Pinch Roller errors

Left, right pinch roll error position/ Sheet not loaded
If pinch rolls are aligned and erros still Check:
1- Clean encoder end to end (alcohol and soft cloth), find for possible ink dry drops
2- Clean sensors (alcohol)
3- Test sensors from service menu (if error on any sensor, check the three cables on the carriage are plugged in proper way)
4- last check: clean the FlexCable from the back board all the way to the carriage head, unplug/clean/plug them again (all process with unpluged machine from power), Remember Dust produces static and static makes uneven power fluency, yes dust is a reason on many electronic issues (keep your machine clean and dust free as possible).

If all of this still failed
1- Check flexcable was ink stained ( cable replacement may be require)
2- Board needs service

Good Luck!

Vinyldog

Agree on the carriage cable. I had one replaced by a technician and noticed what he did so the next time it needed one about a year and half later I was able to replace it myself. Just take your time and notice the mounting points when you remove it. Take photos. I used anti-friction tape on the high wear areas. Removing the little plastic rivets is tricky at first. Good fingernails help. It's not hard really. Good luck.

cnysigns

Hey everyone...
We have had our Sp-540v for over 12 years now. We recently replaced the encoder strip for the first time. Recently we started having an issue with not being able to set the left pincher, thus getting a 0,0 width or error about incorrect left pincher. After weeks of this, we were ready to buy a new machine.

But I tried one last option.. I took alcohol and cleaned the actual carriage cable and the clear protector strips as well as the tray that this all sits in.. tons of metal dust!!

The machine has been working perfectly ever since. I'll let it run for a week or so and re-post if anything changes.

Thank you,
Stephen and Wayne Hesler-Mondore
HM Print and Design
hmprintdesign.com

Philw

It's your cut carriage cable

~E
Completely agree. I've run three SP-300V's for close to 15 years on a narrow width media so lots of scan movement and only get about 12 months out of a ribbon. Interesting thing we've noticed is when the cable's close to failing one of the cable strands gets a magenta stain close to where the cable comes up out of the main board cabinet so we always know about 2 - 3 months before the cable fails.

Kirbyco

Hi All-I am having this same issue with my SP540V. I've ordered the carriage cable, but my vendor will not allow one of their techs to come out and install it. Does anyone know of resources online with good instructions for DIY?
I appreciate any help/advise.
Carrie