• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

placed images have moved

MikeD

Upon opening an .eps file created in Illustrator, the layout has changed. Placed elements, such as .jpg images shift up and over on the x and y. Has anyone else experienced this? What's the cause?
Thanks,
Miked

mattywatts

Were the original source files (placed images, etc.) changed in any way? Generally if you change the dimensions of the placed image, Illustrator will not update accordingly.

Biker Scout

Illustrator doesn't handle placed images like a linked image, such as InDesign. For all I can tell, when you place an image in Illustrator, it's part of the artboard. In fact, I'm pretty sure you can even delete the orginal file from your computer and Illustrator doesn't care.

As far as the shifting, I've never had that occur. I've got a file that I open and print weekly with placed raster images, dozens of them on a single sheet. If they moved, we'd see it in the finished output since they are all individually cut decals.

Biker Scout

OK, just did a test on this. I placed an image off my desktop. Then I opened the image in photoshop, selected all, copied... then went into Illustrator and pasted the graphic. Then I saved the file as an .eps to the desktop. Then I proceeded to delete the original jpg from the desktop. Then I reopened the Illustrator .eps file.

Illustrator Sample.jpg
As I thought, there was no change. No shift and no pixelation.

MikeD

The images are placed, so original source files don't influence the .eps. The shifting occurs only when the file is opened in Illustrator again. Omega, Onyx and Wasatch or even our desktop printers will have correct placement upon output. It's only happened to me about twenty times over the past ten yrs., but it still drives me nuts and I'd like to know what's behind it.
Thanks for your input!
Miked

Marie

If the imported file is LINKED to the source file, editing the source file and then opening it in Illustrator can make it shift, particularly if you resized the original. If the imported file is EMBEDDED in Illustrator, editing or deleting the source file will not have any effect. You can look at the LINKS window, click on the the art, and it will tell you if it is linked or embedded. Don't know if I am on the right track with what you are talking about though. :smile:

Biker Scout

OK, the only way things to get messed up in Illustrator on a "Placed Image" is if you have the "LINK" button checked on your File:Image:place dialog box checked. Otherwise the default is to embed the image as part of the artboard.

Placed_Image_Link.jpg

Biker Scout

Once you have a linked image there is a "Placement Options" setting that allows you to have the image honor certain image bounds settings. This may be where you are experiencing image shifting.

MikeD

The bitmaps are definitely embedded. It only happens when the files are re-opened in Illustrator. If they are opened in a RIP the placement is correct. It's definitely a strange issue.