• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plasma Cutters

freeportsign

Does any use a plasma cutter on a cnc router table i was looking on ebay and seen a couple of them for sale and would like to know how well the work or how well they don't work and help would be greatful:biggrin:

Vital Designs

Vital Designs
I use a hypertherm 1000 with the fine tips on a 4x8. The arc voltage control is a must.

Depending on what you want to do will determine what torch will best suite your needs. If you are going to cut fine detail on metals thinner than 18 guage exclusively then a hypertherm 600 would be a better choice. The 1000 is great for thicker material. It took a little trial and error to figure out the right speed/ amps for each thickness. A 5 - 10 degree distortion of the rooster tail underneath the metal is a good indicator of speed.

I don't use it a whole lot but it does work real well. I have a friend that does plasma cutting exclusively and he makes some really fine pieces.