• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plastic part fell out from underneath my s80600 head carriage.

Dan Berg

IMG_2322.JPG

I think I see where it may have come from. Can I just order another and put it back in myself. Should I not use this printer until I replace it? Just curious what the purpose is?

mpio

Miguel PT
Hello Dan, it is a sheet protection for de IMS sensor. You can replace yourself. You can use the printer bot not for too long because of the ink that can damage de sensor.

cmoist

You can just use some thin strips of double sided tape to hold it on. Don't cover the whole thing - just the edges.

Dan Berg

I stuck it back on with the adhesive that is on the edges. Pretty sure I know what happened and it was my fault. When I did the manual clean I may have brushed near that area and the solvent on the swab loosed/ dissolved the adhesive.

ikarasu

Are you not supposed to brush over that spot? Pretty sure it says to when doing the cleaning ( Should be a graphic when you lift that side of the panel up). Our printers halfway through a roll so I cant check... but usually I clean that area...so unless I've been doing it wrong!

Just pointing it out incase you get scared to do it and ignore that cleaning step...

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have the cleaning diagram, and I follow precisely... But the parts up above that I clean are black. Kinda hard to see in mims picture, but they are more off to the side than the part the OP set loose. I have swiped that part before... Just being clean. Seems safe, but maybe not so much? I guess a quick swipe with the swabit dipped in the cleaning solution should be fine?

Did the part that fell off get regular dousing during cleaning?

cmoist

Are you not supposed to brush over that spot? Pretty sure it says to when doing the cleaning ( Should be a graphic when you lift that side of the panel up). Our printers halfway through a roll so I cant check... but usually I clean that area...so unless I've been doing it wrong!

Just pointing it out incase you get scared to do it and ignore that cleaning step...
I spoke with an Epson tech about this. While the manual and instructions look to allow cleaning this part, the tech recommends to avoid it. The cleaning solution can eat that cover and cause fogginess. If that occurs, you'll have a problem with the sensor reading. He sees it a fair amount. Luckily, it's just a clear plastic cover, and you can make one out of any clear plastic sheet.

Last edited:

Dan Berg

We have the cleaning diagram, and I follow precisely... But the parts up above that I clean are black. Kinda hard to see in mims picture, but they are more off to the side than the part the OP set loose. I have swiped that part before... Just being clean. Seems safe, but maybe not so much? I guess a quick swipe with the swabit dipped in the cleaning solution should be fine?

Did the part that fell off get regular dousing during cleaning?
Yes I ran my solvent covered swab over it and of course the solvent loosened the adhesive enough for it to fall off. I stuck it back on and it has stayed tight for about two weeks but I will either get another one or make one myself.