• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

(PLEASE ADD YOUR INPUT) Printing a wrap based on customer info

wrapwrap

TLDR:
Looking for a standard process of verifying vehicle measurements. Of the different ways to go about it, what's the best way that will avoid mistakes every time?

How do you guys approach printing wraps based on the customer only sending in basic info on the vehicle? Lets say they send in the make/model/year, and photos, will you print? Or do you require the vehicle to come by for measurements during the design process. I am really trying to improve how we do this because I get pretty stressed out when it comes to making sure the print will match up perfectly. Yes, I put bleeds on my panels and account for small issues, but I am set on making at least the majority of wraps that I install nearly identical to the approved proof. I find myself jumping back and fourth between different ways of getting info from the customer on their vehicle. Also, I typically never have sizing issues, but it is because I obsess over making sure everything is right - leading to overlapping processes, delays, waiting until vehicle has arrived for install before printing so I can verify measurements. So the main goal here is to streamline this process and reduce the amount of delays in my projects.

I like to be as sure as possible because it is not worth reprinting $600 - $1000 in material to me. I am creating a internal structured "Template Verification Process" for my company so that we can create a standard process and follow it to the T every time.

Scenarios:

1. Require customer to send VIN

2. Require customer to send VIN or Make/Model/Year + Photos of the vehicle

3. Require the customer to bring the vehicle by for measurements and compare to saved template (Pro Vehicle Outlines)
IF this is truly the only and best way to make sure things are right every time, and they cannot come by before install, then should we give the option to put the liability of the possibility of a reprint in the customer's hands if they are not willing or able to bring the vehicle by for verifying measurements and or templates?

I know shops do this a lot of different ways, and I may be overcomplicating this, but I am simply not okay with wasting material when a step like this could save a lot of money. I hear about so many shops always running into sizing issues and having to reprint on a regular basis. And hey maybe with their margins, that works for them or is something they are okay with. Me? No, I do understand in a industry such as this, waste should always be expected, but should also be continuously monitored, and scanned for ways to reduce or eliminate.

Help me out here, really trying to improve my company in a big way here and lower my stress levels. Side note: If anyone is interested in collaborating on creating standardized processes for wrap shops such as this, let me know, it is a goal of mine to really figure out the best way to operate on all aspects of this business. So many moving parts in a business like this, its helpful to have standardized processes VS people stressing about making things happen the same and right way every time.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
We have an account to sign elements. They have line drawings of most vehicles to scale.
The drawing downloads to scale with a line indicating the lenght of the vehcile. I will draw a line in corel that is the length provided by sign elements. Then everything is to scale.
we don't print anything until the vehicle gets here at their scheduled time. We measure the vehicle and make adjustments if needed.
for vehicles without a line drawing, we have to measure the vehicle. we take photos of the vehicle straight on and mock it up on the photos and then size everything out.

unclebun

I will design a wrap using the templates but I find the templates are notoriously wrong on dimensions, particularly on the front and rear plan views. So once we get to the point of the customer wanting to go ahead, we require them to bring the vehicle by to be photographed and measured. Any place we will be wrapping gets measured. That way you don't get caught out with words on the wrap not fitting on the door or such problems. If the customer will bring the vehicle at the very beginning we photograph and measure it then, and use those to design the wrap. If you don't have exact measurements, it's hard to create a "tight" design that fits accurately, especially if you are designing stripes, tu-tones into the background, or want to have lettering come out exactly where you want it to.

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
We have an account to sign elements. They have line drawings of most vehicles to scale.
The drawing downloads to scale with a line indicating the lenght of the vehcile. I will draw a line in corel that is the length provided by sign elements. Then everything is to scale.
we don't print anything until the vehicle gets here at their scheduled time. We measure the vehicle and make adjustments if needed.
for vehicles without a line drawing, we have to measure the vehicle. we take photos of the vehicle straight on and mock it up on the photos and then size everything out.
Interesting, we don't schedule the install until I have the graphics produced.

JBurton

Signtologist
3. Require the customer to bring the vehicle by for measurements and compare to saved template (Pro Vehicle Outlines)
IF this is truly the only and best way to make sure things are right every time, and they cannot come by before install, then should we give the option to put the liability of the possibility of a reprint in the customer's hands if they are not willing or able to bring the vehicle by for verifying measurements and or templates?
Only if they won't bring the vehicle by and they are going to be extremely picky where elements land. More often than not you will have deformities from curves and sway as to where the print as placed initially, so for a customer to expect perfection on a vehicle while also insisting you prep the art essentially blindfolded is unrealistic.
For example, a wrap like this would have to be meticulously measured and placed:
maxresdefault.jpg

Whereas this one is not as critical:
QualityRoofing.jpg

Sure, you don't want the letters falling in the wheel wells or across a jamb, but that much is easily avoided with templates. You're likely holding yourself to too high of a standard, or if you're customer base supports it, start up charging to go to your customer and get dimensions if they won't come to you.

Edit to add: These aren't my wraps

Last edited:

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Would never produce anything beyond approval layouts before taking my measurements personally. If possible, the measurements were done before the layout was started. If not, they were done once drawings were approved, but before any printing took place.
Under no circumstances would we accept the customer's measurements (except for "rough estimating", i.e., informal estimates) for production. If they weren't able to bring the vehicle to us for measurements, we'd offer to come to them (for a fee that we'd roll into the price) to do the measurements and take the needed photos. That fee (almost) always led to them "making time" to get the vehicle to us. If they still refused, we made it very clear that we were not liable for costs for reprinting stuff that wasn't sized correctly due to their bad measurements.

UberDapr

If I'm not the one making the site visit and taking measurements. I don't trust anything customers, designers, or GCs send.
It takes an installer or someone who has installed to know the ins, outs, and unforeseen things.
I've waited longer for a reprints, because a competent person with a tape measure wasn't available.

MrDav3C

Generally with vehicle wraps we like to have sight of the vehicle prior to design & giving a firm quote.

Sight of the vehicle is mainly to inspect the vehicle for anything unexpected, (additional locks etc.), to talk to the customer about the process from start to finish and detail what parts we will remove from the vehicle, to highlight tricky areas to the customer and how the vinyl maybe stretched in these areas and how this can impact the design and to highlight any current issues with the vehicle that may affect the wrap (rust, dents, poor paintwork etc.) but also to measure any areas where we feel the vehicle template will not be accurate enough.

However, most of our artwork is created straight from the template and 99% of the time is problem free (we use impact vehicle library - possibly more of a UK thing). we are also very aware that the templates are 2D, and they cant allow for the fact a vehicle is 3D, so some areas such as bonnets & rear windows are always best off measuring or at least allowing additional bleed if you are confident enough this will work.

With regards to graphics such as lettering & logos, we often overlay these as a cut vinyl graphic onto the wrap to avoid any distortion from stretching & to allow for precise positioning. We feel that not only does this often look better, it also gives the customer more flexibility in the future if things need to change such as contact details.

MelloImagingTechnologies

Many years in the Production Business
Most of my customers take perfectly squared photos of the vehicles.
Some of them followed my advice and printed a large tape measure next to tiles printing instead of throwing out the side cut vinyl always.
They apply it to a magnetic strip to make a 2”x25’ magnetic tape measure and take photos with it on vehicle.
Only a problem with aluminum bodies!
Bruce

2B

Who is doing the installation?
That is our biggest factor,
* If we are doing the installation - we want hands-on BEFORE the design is done
* If we are shipping - your step # 2 is done.

We have a disclaimer for all customer-provided measurements
DISCLAIMER:

XXXXXXX is not responsible for discrepancies / inconsistencies with customer-provided sizes / measurements.
As such, the individual providing the sizes must confirm the sizes being provided will work / fit.

Any issues that arise from customer-provided measurements will be added to the final invoice

unclebun

as long as the time is scheduled, i don't see a problem doing it either way.
The problem would lie in the customer having to leave their vehicle with you for an extra day or two or three so you can design, print, laminate, and trim your wrap before you then install it. I don't know what kind of customers you have, but mine need and use their vehicles and will not stand for being out of business any extra time at all.

JBurton

Signtologist
The problem would lie in the customer having to leave their vehicle with you for an extra day or two or three so you can design, print, laminate, and trim your wrap before you then install it. I don't know what kind of customers you have, but mine need and use their vehicles and will not stand for being out of business any extra time at all.
Yeah, had a deal breaker when it would take me two full days to wrap vs the other guys wrapping in one. Oh, and theirs were printed, ours were plotted colored 1080. Guess who's still look good 5 years later?

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
It looks like there's some confusion here.
The design time is done prior to scheduling the install. We don't actually print anything until the vehicle comes in. We take some last measurements, make sure sizing is correct and then print.

The vehicles aren't out any extra time than any other wrap shop.

JBurton

Signtologist
The design time is done prior to scheduling the install. We don't actually print anything until the vehicle comes in. We take some last measurements, make sure sizing is correct and then print.

I could be wrong, but I was under the impression most folks will have their whole print ready to stick as soon as the vehicle rolls in and gets cleaned. If I'm under the gun, I'm not wanting to sweat how fast the printer runs, if something got laminated poorly, or if jimmy joe ran his knife a little inside the lines while trimming the panels out.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I could be wrong, but I was under the impression most folks will have their whole print ready to stick as soon as the vehicle rolls in and gets cleaned. If I'm under the gun, I'm not wanting to sweat how fast the printer runs, if something got laminated poorly, or if jimmy joe ran his knife a little inside the lines while trimming the panels out.
So, if I get my job done as accurately and nicely as you do in the same amount of time, what difference does it make.
you wouldnt even know how I run the jobs if I hadn't said anything.

(ran his knife a little inside the lines while trimming the panels out...don't you have an over print? )

Last edited:

JBurton

Signtologist
So, if I get my job done as accurately and nicely as you do in the same amount of time, what difference does it make.
you wouldnt even know how I run the jobs if I hadn't said anything.

(ran his knife a little inside the lines while trimming the panels out...don't you have an over print? )
Hey, I never said I was fast! I'd wager you could get one in and start to finish before I got the first side done!
I just don't think that's how most folks on here operate.

unclebun

I'd say they are in your shop longer than ours by the amount of time it takes to print, laminate, and trim. In our hands that would turn it from 1 day in shop to 2, though it wouldn't be end of day on day 2. But to the customer it means the vehicle is out of service twice as long.

Geneva Olson

Expert Storyteller
I'd say they are in your shop longer than ours by the amount of time it takes to print, laminate, and trim. In our hands that would turn it from 1 day in shop to 2, though it wouldn't be end of day on day 2. But to the customer it means the vehicle is out of service twice as long.
SO, as long as we have made that arrangement with our customer, what difference does it make?

JBurton

Signtologist
SO, as long as we have made that arrangement with our customer, what difference does it make?
Half.
If you have the demand and manpower to wrap a car a day, you're hamstringing yourself by half.
As far as the customer cares, no difference, but you're tying up a bay while the printer whirs and the laminator buzzes.