• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

please help switched inks and nothing looks right

chrisbates202

hey guys i hope your expertise can help me i switched from mimaki jv3 solaris inks to AT inks becuase they are cheaper.

my greys looks brown
browns look red
etc...

i have called AT and they just tell me there going to call me back and never do

the material i print on the most is gmi double blockout super smooth 13oz banner material.
i use flexi 8.1

when i was using solaris i used the oracal 3850 profile and it fit my needs everything looked great now i have tried every profile that came with flexi and nothing works.

please help im getting backed up on orders and the supplier wont take the ink back.

chris

Yours is a cautionary tale that should be repeated to everyone who considers switching ink brands. There is no such thing (in my opinion anyway) as 'generic' ink or media. Switching inks will absolutely, positively have an effect on your color output. It may be a somewhat modest change, or it may be a dramatic change as you are seeing in this case.

Assuming that you are purchasing this ink from a distributor, rather than the manufacturer, your next call should be to that distributor. You are looking for output profiles that are built for your printer model (Mimaki?), inkset (AT Ink), media product,and RIP software.

Your other option would be to simply build them yourself. This would entail using a Flexi-supported spectrophotometer, and a definite learning curve.