• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotted Electrocut Film

Renato Pinto

Graphics Manager
We have to make a couple of large street name signs for a Signal Project.

One sign is 2' by 11' and the other one is 2' by 7ish'. Anyways, we normally outsource this but i was wanting to do this in-house. I laid the White HIP on an aluminum sheet and then plotted some green electrocut.

First question, does anybody else have issues plotting green electrocut? Not sure if its a sensor thing since the film is mostly clear but no matter how well i line up the roll of material, it always gets off track. Any tips?

Second question, once it has been plotted and weeded. I apply the paper premask and line it up with my sign. I started mounting the electrocut to the sign with my cold laminator and it started just fine but it just started walking like crazy and bubbles and wrinkles started showing up. Any ideas as to whats going on?

I'm hoping it was just a one off error and it won't happen again but i just wanted some feedback so that i'm not wasting anymore material.

Thanks for your help

Attachments

• electrocut film.jpg
    electrocut film.jpg
    362.9 KB · Views: 191

bannertime

I wouldn't use a paper mask on this. A good clear mask will be way better for this. I've never had a skew issue with the EC. Load it in, hold the roll from moving, pull tightly on the end of the material and then drop the rollers.

bannertime

I've never used a clear mask, what's the advantage here?

In my opinion, it's not as prone to the distortion that causes those types of bubble. I'd bet that switching to a clear tape will prevent the mounting issues. I'm not sayin you have to buy that 3m recommended stuff. We use whatever clear Rtape or Transferrite we have.