• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter life

Ruddbow

I just recently had my first hiccup with my Summa D60. It is about 5 years old and has been an excellent machine. Their CS is incredible!!

For all you veterans out there, How often do you upgrade plotters? Do you trade in for newer models or use them til they die?

Also, your thoughts on the following plotters:
Summa D60SE and the Graphtec FC7000-75

I am wanting something with a registration mark sensor. I would like to go bigger but still do not see the huge benefit of going over 24-30".

Appreciate the input.

Ryan

Checkers

Hiya Ryan,
A good plotter will last many years if you maintain it properly. I've been in this business for almost 15 years and never had to replace one. I also know some guys that still run plotters from the 80's and early 90's.
That being said, I also own a D60, and expect it to last 5 to 7 years before I retire it to being a back up plotter.

Checkers

Ryan,

Plotters that are larger than 24" have their uses, although for most - it is very seldom. If you are tight on space, or plan on being able to move it around (place to place), a 24" is still the way to go.

As for retiring the plotter, our philosphy is: "if it ain't broke - leave it the hell alone!"

In your case, you are looking for a unit with an optical sensor. That may be worth the upgrade to you. Not being familiar with the operation of the Summa - does your machine have the ability to set the axis?

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
You won't get much on a trade in.
I would keep it until it craps out or keep it as a back up. I have a Anagraph AE60e from 97 that just won't quit. Almost 10 years out of a $2,500 plotter.:thumb: Still cuts great.

Ruddbow

Pro Signs & Graphix said:
In your case, you are looking for a unit with an optical sensor. That may be worth the upgrade to you. Not being familiar with the operation of the Summa - does your machine have the ability to set the axis?

Yes, I believe so.

Unless you you are just itching to spend some money (on a new plotter), it is a very valuable and useful function. This will help alleviate the need for an optical sensor. Another Summa user may be able to help you with instructions.

Not that it matters in your situation - the cheap plotters do not have this ability, which is why many have to get the sensor equipped models later.

THATgirl

plotters

My Roland PNC 1000 has been going since 89...no problems whatsoever. I have a friends 24inch GRC 61....so far I do not like it. My old roland may be slow and noisy...but it sure is dependable.

OldPaint

talked to a guy in ark, the other day bought a roland PNC-1100 for $250.00!!!!!! i got 2 of them, had a PNC-1000 I
for $1600 in 93, sold it in 2001-02 for $550 and bought both 1100 on ebay for $1000 each......and i have no problems...........if i had $3000 i would go for a new ROLAND CM-300.

Cross Signs

We Make Them Hot and Fresh Everyday
I've got a Gerber GS-15 that is over 15 years old and still used everyday, Sometimes I wonder how many miles of material I've run though it

jayhawksigns

We have our Summa T-1010 going strong for 10 years now. I consider the Mimaki CG-130FX we got with our JV3 as its backup, you just can't compare a tangential cutter with a drag knife.