• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Plotter reboots during large jobs only

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
I've got an HP cutter (a rebranded Summa). I can cut all day long, let the cutter go through a whole roll of small jobs by itself, but I've had two jobs now that the cutter keeps rebooting during, and the only thing in common is that they are large (10-12 ft) panels. The plotter will reboot during OPOS sensing sometimes. Other times it actually starts the job and randomly reboots in the middle of cutting.

Does anyone have any idea what's going on? I'm out of warranty and HP wants $2000 just to come look at this $6000 cutter!

Make sure that you are using the heavily shielded black Ethernet cable that shipped with the cutter itself. The close proximity of the Ethernet port to the cylindrical steel rollers causes data interference as the media moves back and forth over the rollers. The interference builds up as the job size increases.

If the cable is not long enough, get a longer well shielded Cat7 cable - standard cat5 or cat6 cables don't have the necessary shielding.

Last edited:

jtiii

I paid good money for you to read this!
Make sure that you are using the heavily shielded black Ethernet cable that shipped with the cutter itself. The close proximity of the Ethernet port to the cylindrical steel rollers causes data interference as the media moves back and forth over the rollers. The interference builds up as the job size increases.

If the cable is not long enough, get a longer well shielded Cat7 cable - standard cat5 or cat6 cables don't have the necessary shielding.
If this fixes my problem I am gonna hunt you down and kiss you right on the cheek! Well, probably not actually, I'll be too busy doing the trailer that I can't cut yet!!

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I just love happy endings, but this kiss promises to be even better........................ Which cheek were you referring to ??