• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

pms and roland color chart match

is there a website that i could go to and type in or look at a pms code and then that would give me the nearest roland color chart match to it? if not whats the best method for trying to match pms color codes with roland color charts?

thanks!

i don't have a pantone book, i thought maybe there was a website like ralcolor.com that would help giving the pms code/number and then the roland color chart ref number next to it kinda thing.

Colin

There's no such thing. Because the Roland spot colors will print differently on different media, you need to print off the entire color swatch on the media (vinyl) that you use, and then simply refer to that swatch, and you will get that color exactly.

Border

and...you really do NEED to have a pantone book. That way, when someone needs you to match a pantone color, you can hold that pantone book next to the Roland swatches you printed and match those two, then make appropriate changes in the file to be printed, if need be.

petepaz

pantone book real important but like colin said you have to print the entire roland swatch sample and you have to do it for each material you use (swell at least the most common ones) because thay are different with each material and even at that if you have a real picky customer the matches to pms colors are not the greatest, some better then others

Biker Scout

Having a physical sample to match to is the key... just typing in numbers will give you 10 different results on 10 different machines. That's why the swatch books even exist.

Having a regular Pantone Swatch book is a good thing to have.

The most helpful Pantone book you are looking for is called the Color Bridge Coated, or the Process Coated. Those will give you actual CMYK values instead of ink mixing values that press operators need for mixing cans of ink. Color Bridge does one better... shows the RGB equivalent right next to the CMYK swatch.

There used to be a 6-Color book to include the wider gamut for LC and YM. But I've not seen that for quite sometime.

Buy one of the books. It's important. But if you are on a budget, get the one that shows the process value. That way you can at least show your clients, "These are the colors you are able to reproduce." Much easier to show them the "Close Enoughs" than trying to get their hopes up in matching exactly PMS 5489. Because it sounds like you still need a spectrometer and color match software to get to the point where you can comfortably say that you can color match.

thanks guys... i do have all roland color charts on all media we use already printed and up on the wall. problem is that i was given 2 pantone color codes via email so did not have the sample infront of me. i will go and get a pantone book this week as your all correct, one of those things i really do need to get in the office!

Border

I believe the difference is that the one I linked you to has both the cmyk and rgb counterpart for reference, as well as providing the rgb and cmyk values of each chip.
The one from speedpress looks like the original one I bought. About all it is good for is having a good color reference to look at, but it doesn't provide any numbers on how to actually make the colors in rgb or cmyk.

I believe the difference is that the one I linked you to has both the cmyk and rgb counterpart for reference, as well as providing the rgb and cmyk values of each chip.
The one from speedpress looks like the original one I bought. About all it is good for is having a good color reference to look at, but it doesn't provide any numbers on how to actually make the colors in rgb or cmyk.

ah, ok, get what you mean, thanks, appreciate that.

Salmoneye

Is there another, lets say expanded version of the roland color chart? All of the chips only use a combination of two colors so you will get a real orange like red or a purple but no dark reds that have some black in them etc... I love using the system just wish there were more colors to choose from.