• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

PNC 1000 Vintage Mac Driver Needed

beerzie27

OK...this site looks promising. I've been down appx. 3 weeks with my computer and plotter. Its been a nightmare to say the least. A power surge fried the mother board on an old family member...the Mac LC. It was faithfully running a 4.something version of Flexiletter for over 10 years. It never had a problem handing over the information to the Roland PNC 1000. Most of the info was able to be saved and re-installed on another vintage Mac...a Quadra. It currently is running on an 8 OS. After the computer repairs were finished and I hooked everything up again...I ran a little test to see if "all was well". Well, it wasn't...it seems that the driver for the PNC vintage Mac is nowhere to be found. So now the two aren't talking. I've been scrambling to find it (the driver) ever since. I couldn't believe the reply at Roland service..."we don't support that device anymore...would you like to buy another, newer model?" WTF...anyways...I'm sure you all understand the frustration. I am rather committed now, after all the costly repairs, to stay the course and try to resurrect my "faithful" system. Can somebody share this software with me or point me in the right direction? A sincere "thank you" in advance. Mike.

Bill Modzel

Mike,
First, your "driver" should be with Flexi, not the Roland.If you have your Flexi install disks you should be OK.
Second, what are you doing wasing your money getting an LC repaired? This thing is ancient. You can get a brand new iMac for a $1,200 or a huge array of somewhat newer trade in's in the back of MacWorld magazine for next to nothing.
Your repair person did you a diservice by even looking at an LC. Junk the Quadra too.
Joe, how many pc's from 1989 are you running right now? ;-)

beerzie27

Faithful Vintage

Bill,
Thanks for the "direct" observations. You're right, my technician didn't do me any favors at all, and I seriously doubt his understanding of my system, its software and its functions. My first reply to him when he told me he couldn't find the driver was that I never had driver disks...and that I assumed they're in Flexi. And actually I do have the Flexi install discs...that was the only way to get them into this quadra...which he so "generously" sold me for $145! I never even asked him to do this...I guess he just assumed I would want to pay that much for something that is available daily on ebay for $20! Its my understanding that this is the last of the specific processors that run my versions of Flexi. So...maybe you're starting to see my frustrations...as it stands now...I've returned the old LC hard drive for him to scan and try and locate the driver...this is when he informed me that its not there. A phone call to Roland was a 15 minute hold and then a message that said "no one available to take my call...leave message"...TWO days later I get a very bold customer "service" rep that left me boiling. So.....back to the issue at hand.....The driver is in Flexi???? This is a "for sure" thing??? 'Cuz I gotta go to this cat now and explain to him in my very naive way...that everything is in there...we must be missing something else.
Maybe there's a clue here....When I hit "cut"...the scroll bar goes like its supposed to be cutting...but the knife doesn't move? Any ideas? I haven't changed cables...it was working before this whole mess started.
Man....I feel completely lost. I appreciate your solid imput! Mike.
PS...and the main reason I went this route was the "prohibitive" (to me) cost of the upgrade of the Flexi...I just work part time anymore at the signs. I actually have two much newer MACs...they just don't support that Flexi. I guess you could say I'm just trying to fix an old "tool".