• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help PNG's

Jer Barlow

What do I do with .png's? I use Flexi and have for ever. I can import a png but cannot take it apart or change it. I can trace it but only get wireframe as a result. What do I do? Totally lost. Jer

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
PNG is not just a raster bitmap format like a JPG. It also supports transparency and, unlike a JPG, uses a lossless form of compression so it holds up better to saving and resaving. It can be vectorized in Adobe Illustrator by auto tracing and the colors will be somewhat preserved. Not so sure that FlexiSign will work as well. If you want to modify it without vectorizing it, then you will need to use an image editor like Photoshop.

Attila Nagy

PNG is not just a raster bitmap format like a JPG. It also supports transparency and, unlike a JPG, uses a lossless form of compression so it holds up better to saving and resaving. It can be vectorized in Adobe Illustrator by auto tracing and the colors will be somewhat preserved. Not so sure that FlexiSign will work as well. If you want to modify it without vectorizing it, then you will need to use an image editor like Photoshop.
Soo. It is still a raster.
And You Should be able to vectorise it in Flexi

Pewter0000

Graphic Design | Production
If it's large enough, you can always throw that baby in a .pdf to print it.
.PNG is an odd format - they can save huge, they support transparency, and they're decent, as raster files go at least - but they're almost always delivered teensy tiny because they're mainly used for web and online purposes. Very handy for web.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Be careful with PNG....native res may only be 72 dpi. Had a client yesterday with exactly this....exported to PNG and for a guitar front and back, came out at 72 inches tall...not correct! I had to convert it to 300 DPI in Photoshop and let the file decrease In physical size with the resolution increase. Final size of the print was supposed to be only about 23 inches. Just be careful because they can be tricky.

Jer Barlow

Thanx guys! After 50 years in the industry I'm still a dum dum. I just wanted to avoid redrawing it. Got it figured out now.

Bradley Signs

Bradley Signs
I use Corel.
I convert them to Black & White, then use the trace tool to make a EPS or Vector file, then recolor it for use with vinyl cutting.

Baz

Yeah, i was taken aback from the "Dum Dum" comment as well but OP took it in stride.
We are all dum-dums sometimes. We don't need to be reminded from another one!

Stacey K

I like making signs
I had to look up what an svg file was the first time someone sent me one so I'm a dum dum dummy too LOL