• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Polycarb sign with vinyl backed pring

IV

Hi: I'm interested in making the attached type sign with the polycarb lens with a adhesive printed vinyl adhered to the back of the back of the lens with (what appears to be) a foam backing board. This set up appears to be similar to what I have seen in cabinet signs (right?)

Easy enough to get the polycarbonate lenses, but where do I get the adhesive printed vinyl to adhere to the polycarbonate lens? How are these made/assembled and what do I ask from from the printer (can someone walk me through this)? Any good references as sources is most appreciated! Thanks in advance for any helpful answers!!!!

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 51

Custom_Grafx

If the printing company you use prints on vinyl, they would be more than happy to suggest and recommend the best product for you. If they are no good and tell you they can't do it, time to find a new printer.

Your sandwich goes like this;

acrylic / reverse print on clear SAV / laminate with white SAV / foamcore.

Just a guess but somewhere along those lines...

IV

If the printing company you use prints on vinyl, they would be more than happy to suggest and recommend the best product for you. If they are no good and tell you they can't do it, time to find a new printer.

Your sandwich goes like this;

acrylic / reverse print on clear SAV / laminate with white SAV / foamcore.

Just a guess but somewhere along those lines...
Thanks for your help on this: Well I spoke to our printer: They thought the best way would be to print on white backed vinyl, adhere to the foamcore, then secure the acyrlic sheet to the front. I am afraid with the vinyl not adhering to the acyrlic it may show open pockets, etc. and not stay secure (acyrlic sheet can get wavy and flex away from the print. I went and looked this one over more closely and it appears that the vinyl is in fact adhered to the acyrlic as you state.

So.....perhaps I do need a new printer (at least for this project anyway)? Any suggestions where I can go with someone to help me on this? Thanks for your feedback in advance!

IV

Custom_Grafx

No worries.

I'm in Australia so haven't used anyone personally in the US, but this is the forum's Merchant Directory with quite a few choices for you.

http://www.signs101.com/pp-classifieds/g26-outsource-services.html

Maybe link them this thread so they know what you're talking about if you e-mail them, or else one of them may post here if they see this.

Ask for printing on clear SAV in reverse, them laminate with white.

Note; Do not use a cheap printer/material for this process.

Desert_Signs

You could print direct to the foamboard, then use an optically clear mounting film to mount the board to the polycarb. Or, print to white vinyl, mount to foamboard, then use an optically clear mounting film.

I think this would probably only work in a relatively temperature controlled environment. Big swings in temps would probably cause problems with the expansion/contraction of the polycarb.