• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Port Issues

jrass14

Greetings,
I love this site, many talented folks here.
This is my first post.
I have older sign equipment that I bought new some 20 years ago. (Retired)
I am running Flexi Sign Pro 7.5 with operating system XP.
I still use the system for long time customers and for cutting masks for custom painting.
The last time I used it everything worked fine. Nothing was moved Yada Yada.
My problem is when I send anything to production manager to cut I get a error of Comm Port will not open.(YesI’m still using a Parallel Port)
Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you ✌️

Jimmy “RASS”

weyandsign

Goto control panel -> device manager and see if any errors listed under COM ports. If possible try a different parallel cable. It's also possible that parallel port went bad, in that case you can buy a USB to parallel cable, or a PCI parallel port card.

jrass14

Greetings friends, I have been gone from my hometown since a few days after my post on July 19th,
I have not tried any of the solutions that have been suggested. I will be doing that this week.
I want to personally thank everyone for their input, I certainly appreciate it.
I love this forum. Most of my career in the area of signage has been swinging brushes since 1973. Mostly Race Cars… As I used to competitively race myself. Others see your work and pretty soon your shop is full of Race Cars and Helmets. My experience has been mostly as it pertains to Custom Painting, Lettering, Pinstriping, Airbrush. My career main career has been that as a Mechanical Engineer. (Retired) All of my painting ventures have always been a side gig to fund my racing. I have used my equipment to do some signage however, it’s mostly used for cutting masks for graphics and murals.
If I can ever help anyone out in anyway as it pertains to my expertise I will certainly do so. If anyone has any questions of how we used to do it back in the day I will certainly share anything I can.
Again thank you to everyone who reached out with their suggestions. Once I have the problem corrected I will share the fix in an effort to help others!

Keeping It wet since 1973.
Jimmy “RASS” ✌️

netsol

UNLESS YOU ADDED AN EXPANSION CARD, your pc only has one lpt port

my guess would be that it has changed MODE

a twenty yr old pc would have the ability in cmos to change lpt mode (std. bidirectional. EPT, etc)
back to my guess, the cmos battery died & you had to change it and reset the time & date & perhaps a couple other settings, INCLUDING lpt port mode)

you need to be bidirectional at a minimum, to facilitate communication, but, some of the enhanced modes require you to choose an INTERRUPT setting
lets avoid the enhanced ports & try bidirectional

it is also possible you are sefaulted to a comm port (9 or 25 pin serial port

i could give more specific help but you never mention what we are hooking up to

please update