• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Premask messing up film laminate?

Aelin

Had a weird problem come up this last week where it looks like the premask on a wrap caused the laminate underneath to bunch up and separate from the vinyl in areas. This is IJ 180cv3 with 8518 gloss lam and latex ink.

I haven’t had any issues with 3M and latex delaminating before, and it’s perfectly fine on the pieces of this job that were not masked so it has to be the premask.

Has this happened to anyone on here before? I guess I just won’t be able to mask larger pieces like this anymore but I don’t see why it should be causing issues like this.

Attachments

• 30792C8B-07E3-4126-8F41-AED9403D5E92.jpeg
    30792C8B-07E3-4126-8F41-AED9403D5E92.jpeg
    111.5 KB · Views: 198
  • 6B039B1C-0088-4A53-8AED-620FC8E5363A.jpeg
    6B039B1C-0088-4A53-8AED-620FC8E5363A.jpeg
    169.9 KB · Views: 135
  • CD901FE8-B717-45E4-9F4A-39EAD0755D5F.jpeg
    CD901FE8-B717-45E4-9F4A-39EAD0755D5F.jpeg
    243 KB · Views: 133

Johnny Best

Not a latex expert but I have read awhile back about lamination coming off because of latex not curing properly on darker colors. May want to do a search on here for better information.

Aelin

Not a latex expert but I have read awhile back about lamination coming off because of latex not curing properly on darker colors. May want to do a search on here for better information.

We printed the same color on another piece that wasn’t masked though and didn’t have any issues with it, so I don’t think it’s a typical laminate issue. Thinking it has more to do with the mask but I’m not sure what exactly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aelin

What sort of premask was it?
In my experience, no that sounds off. Now, it someone masked it, applied to that region, then decided to pull the mask from the loose vinyl, then it could have 'kinked' the vinyl as it seperated, which puts those telltale jagged lines in the laminate. Hopefully a bit of heat will take that right out...
It was Rtape.
That definitely could have been it. I had someone else installing it so I’m not sure at what point they removed the mask.

Aelin

Yeah, I would have pulled the mask to wrap the end of the door myself, since it lays and conforms better, but it would have struck me pretty quick that something was going wrong, and I at least need to tack it down to the edge to the door and pull directly in line with whatever panel the vinyl was stuck to, then you you can pull it back up and lay it however.
What was the mask for exactly?
At the top of the panel there are a couple of long, thin stripes that the mask was applied for. Going forward I guess I may need to just mask the stripes and apply them separately as decals, I hate having seams on areas like that though.

Aelin

Ah, nobody does, but ideally you would just wrap the whole door instead of doing a 'partial wrap'. If the customer wants graphics like that, I'd price the panel for a full coverage and not contour cut anything, then they may let you manipulate the art to either break the curves off or just toss them in general, or maybe they don't mind paying the extra and you can skip a whole step with contour cutting and bring home a bit more cash.
Yeah, I wish. These customers wanted to match their existing wraps that were all contour cut like this one, so we didn’t have any design freedom.
They may just have to be happy with the decal solution going forward. ‍
You think the wrinkles will come out alright with some more heat?