• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Pricing Your Services

jimbug72

I could be wrong, but it sounds to me like the OP already has some experience making/designing signs etc, just doesn't know the financial side of the business and the company already has advertising/design/large format printing experience. If they've been in business for 17 years I'd say they know at least something about being profitable.

I'd suggest you follow Jill/Jon/Checkers advice, invest in something like Estimate Software/Graphix Calc/Pricing Guide Book/etc. do some local market research and sit down with the powers that be at your company and figure out what you need to charge in order to be profitable and take it from there.

We use Estimate Software mostly and tweak as needed depending on the job.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Why any of you think signs WOULDN'T be a natural extension of Storm's business is beyond me...

Storm, you need to figure your costs and expenses... and those hidden costs and expenses... so any guide you get will have to be fairly flexible. If the book says charge $5/sf and everyone else in your area is only at $4/sf... and consequently if you are charging $5 and everyone else is charging $7... you are leaving money on the table. I would apply whatever pricing/mark up methods and profit margins you use for the rest of your business to the sign end... and see how close you are to the guide pricing.

Bradster941

Your best bet is to have a professional like the guy in post #19 have a consultation conference call with you and your boss.

Allot of specific ground can be covered over the phone in a short amount of time as oppose to people typing non specific comments on the Internet.

It would be the Best Money you ever spent.