• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print/cut combo

JT141

I’m looking to buy a printer/cutter machine. Any advice? Low quantity use for the immediate future, but looking to make the jump. I think I’d prefer the same machine to do both print and cut, but maybe I am mistaken. Thoughts?

White Haus

Not a Newbie
My advice is to read the hundreds of threads here that cover this exact topic. Everyone will have their own personal flavor preference when it comes to brands. If you truly want print/cut, you'll be limited to either Roland or Mimaki. Personally I wouldn't buy any of Roland's new offerings and find the Mimaki interface lacking.

Aside from that, find something with good, local service. When your machine goes down (and it WILL go down), you'll need fast, reliable support. Not some salesperson that thinks they're a tech.

Unless space is an issue, I personally prefer having a standalone printer and a standalone plotter. (We have an Epson S60600 and Summa S140T / Summa F1612)

We ran print/cut Rolands for 10 years and I much prefer having separate units. Sure, print/cut in one step is nice for unlaminated prints, but you're tying up a machine when it could be printing more goods.

Don't forget to get a laminator, if you don't have one already.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
We started with a print/cut machine and still use it to cut sometimes. It's nice to have it as a backup to our plotter too.
I like the Mimaki CJV150 for print/cut. It's basic, easy to learn and easy to repair yourself. The cut accuracy is good. I don't know about their new models of printers but the CJV150 is still available for now. My gripe with Epson, HP and Roland is the lockdown they have on repairs and the service contracts they try to strong arm you into.

JT141

My advice is to read the hundreds of threads here that cover this exact topic. Everyone will have their own personal flavor preference when it comes to brands. If you truly want print/cut, you'll be limited to either Roland or Mimaki. Personally I wouldn't buy any of Roland's new offerings and find the Mimaki interface lacking.

Aside from that, find something with good, local service. When your machine goes down (and it WILL go down), you'll need fast, reliable support. Not some salesperson that thinks they're a tech.

Unless space is an issue, I personally prefer having a standalone printer and a standalone plotter. (We have an Epson S60600 and Summa S140T / Summa F1612)

We ran print/cut Rolands for 10 years and I much prefer having separate units. Sure, print/cut in one step is nice for unlaminated prints, but you're tying up a machine when it could be printing more goods.

Don't forget to get a laminator, if you don't have one already.
Thank you for your advice!!

JT141

We started with a print/cut machine and still use it to cut sometimes. It's nice to have it as a backup to our plotter too.
I like the Mimaki CJV150 for print/cut. It's basic, easy to learn and easy to repair yourself. The cut accuracy is good. I don't know about their new models of printers but the CJV150 is still available for now. My gripe with Epson, HP and Roland is the lockdown they have on repairs and the service contracts they try to strong arm you into.
Thank you!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
A machine that both prints and cuts does neither of these tasks as well as two separate dedicated machines. When constructing a print/cut machine, there will exist many conflicting requirements where either the printing or the cutting will have to make concessions in order to accommodate the other function. Neither function will be as good as it would be using two separate machines.

petepaz

we have always had print/cut machines. first off we have never had an issue with the machine getting backed up due to one machine doing both print and cut. (you have time in between with outgassing and laminating)when it was an issue it was because we had enough work to justify another print cut machine. we always had rolands and they were great. not happy with the newer models. the newer models are not production machines. they are built for quality not speed where they used to be able to accommodate both, not sure why that changed. we also have a mimaki and it's great the only issue i have is with the cutting. unlike the roland where you can just insert the sheet and it's ready to cut with mimaki you have to line up and set the base point for every sheet you cut. if you could find a refurbed roland XR or even and XC you could start with one of those, they are both work horses and might be a less expensive way to get started

somcalmetim

Have had several Rolands over years...the newer ones I have print beautiful and cut just fine...
I also used stand alone graphtec cutters for years and have never noticed the huge leap in cutting quality some talk about from a stand alone cutter compared to the roland.
Unless you need to print balls to the wall 24/7 you dont need a separate cutter.

Guerilla Grafix

I’m looking to buy a printer/cutter machine. Any advice? Low quantity use for the immediate future, but looking to make the jump. I think I’d prefer the same machine to do both print and cut, but maybe I am mistaken. Thoughts

I just picked up a Mimaki CV J150 printer/cutterv and love it. I got the CMYK + Orange and Light Magenta & a couple other colors (8 color setup).

The colors come out vibrant and the only issues I've had is dialing in the die cut and perf cut. I think l got it handled now tho. Going to run some more jobs tomorrow.

I've also printed on the printable heat transfer vinyl and it came out
IMG_0758.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0821.jpeg
    IMG_0821.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0621.jpeg
    IMG_0621.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
  • IMG_0606.jpeg
    IMG_0606.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_0459.jpeg
    IMG_0459.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 19

madone

I’m looking to buy a printer/cutter machine. Any advice? Low quantity use for the immediate future, but looking to make the jump. I think I’d prefer the same machine to do both print and cut, but maybe I am mistaken. Thoughts?
I can make you a deal on a Roland VG-640