• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

print film as lamination

nirupakah

Are there any commpelling reasons why not to use a clear print vinyl as lamination of printed vinyl?

Specifically, I am talking about possible use of either Orajet 3162/3164 or 3640 (which is thinner and thus maybe giving better optical results – but has solvent-based adhesive) clear version as lamination for the prints on Orajet 3162/3164. And similarly with 3551. Or is there a good reason why they have special Oraguard lamiantion films? Is the adhesive more optically clear? less reactive? (leaving aside the liner/backing paper properties). Oraguard laminating films are rather expensive compared to the print films like 3162... and also, you have to store both the print films nad the lamination films...

We have actually already been practising this with Neschen Solvoprint Performance 80 Clear print film – use white (Neschen Solvoprint Performance 80) and clear (Neschen Solvoprint Performance 80 Clear) version to print on and then laminate with the clear (Neschen Solvoprint Performance 80 Clear). This is what our supplier recommends – saying that the clear print film is the same material as the suitable lamination film, ie. saying that Neschen Solvoprint Performance 80 Clear = Neschen Filmolux Performance Gloss (now, writing this post, I have checked Neschen website and it seems that they do NOT have totally identical properties: the print film is 80 microns, the lamination film 75 micron...).

Thanks for opinions or sharing your experience with this.