• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Print Head Bad? (pics)

cgordon

Hi everyone,
New to the forum although I have referenced it for Years

We have a mutoh Value Jet 1204. I can't say it has been maintained meticulously over the years and it has been getting progressively worst banding. From reading around it seems I have some blocked nozzles? I have soaked the head on the printer, ran cleaning cycles and still getting the results in the pictures.

What would be your next step?

Attachments

• image1.JPG
    image1.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 309
  • image2.JPG
    image2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 288
  • image3.JPG
    image3.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 259

Colinm

It's a long shot but have a look right along the path of the print head for any build up of ink that might be scraping the bottom of the printhead.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
It definitely looks like you've got some nozzles missing.
As Colinm said, check the printer for anything that might be hitting the nozzle. You might get lucky.
Whether you find anything that might be interfering with proper printing or not, clean the bejeebers out of the entire printer- particularly the print area. Carefully wipe your encoder strip (or maybe it's a wheel on that particular model?), re-run the cleaning cycle (heavy, I think?), clean your docking station, change your sponges and wiper out, clean the printhead (including the sides), then run the cleaning cycle again. You might get lucky.
And take it as a lesson- regular maintenance will almost always prolong the life of any piece of equipment. If you're not the person in charge of the printer, suggest to the boss that it be made part of that person's duties. If it is your responsibility- take it on yourself to learn the printer's maintenance routine.
If not, ... call a tech in?

heyskull

How old is the head as they last no more than 4-5 years no matter how much they have been used?
Also the first thing I would be doing is change out the complete maintenance station.

SC

cgordon

The printer is about 5-6 years old, aside from cleaning, replacing the wipers and mats a few times. It has never had any other maintenance.

I will try the encoder and do some more cleaning. Assuming those do not get it working, is it time for a new head?

Colinm

The printer is about 5-6 years old, aside from cleaning, replacing the wipers and mats a few times. It has never had any other maintenance.

I will try the encoder and do some more cleaning. Assuming those do not get it working, is it time for a new head?

Personally I would start with replacing the maintenance station as that should be needing replaced anyway. You might get lucky and the new pump and better seal fixes your problem on a strong clean but it's most likely that you need a new head.

floater302

You can try to clean it more but if it has been sitting it might be a lost cause, try hooking up a syringe with a tube to the black nozzle and gently run acetone through it, if you cant get it done with that then its team for a new printhead.