• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print quality vs ink usage

wwpro

hi there

Printing a banner for a birthday party, and playing with versaworks settings I came across the fact that my VW does not display the ink consumption for each job in the Preview Window, and I'm up to date with the program (4.6.0).
I find a way to check the ink usage going to the menu View > JobLog and there I can see the amount of ink to be used when the job went through the RIP.

Now to the question ... I've been printing a few banners in high speed mode with good results, and while checking the ink usage I can see that for this particular case it uses less ink in standard mode than in high speed .... 15.38cc standard and 15.48cc in High, what's the deal here ? All this using the same file and profile, also compared using Pre-press US and Sign&Display.

Any info would be appreciated, that would help me to keep learning more about how RIP works

take care

jasonx

I'd guess you have higher ink limits set for the high speed versus standard quality.

Different quality modes does not equal the same profile. There would be a separate ICC generated for each print mode. They are just grouped under one 'profile' to make it easier for the end user.

wwpro

you're right, seems like the same profile but it isn't. Need to read up about ink limits, because that's also new to me

jasonx

Each print mode is actually a different profile. In versaworks and other rips they group the profiles by media to make it easier for the end user.

When you select generic vinyl 1 that isnt the profile thats the media. When you select high quality or standard quality its selecting a different profile with different ink limits.

Hope that clears it up.

wwpro

yep, it is, thanks a lot. I realized why I was wrong as soon as started to read your post, but still need to read about ink limits :)