• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Print storage ideas? We are running out of space!

DaveD

I'm looking for a good way to store oversize irregular shape prints. As we grow so does the size of the digital printed work and the number of projects waiting to be installed. Vehicle wraps are fairly easy, we just roll up the panels and line them up. Print and cut graphics with transfer tape applied don't roll as nicely and we've been laying them flat on the production tables. This is not the best practice and takes up valuable space. Can anyone share their space saving ideas with me?

We are also getting our fist flatbed printer and would like suggestions on racking systems to hold the flat stock. We currently have vertical racks that we slide the materials into but I've read that it's best to have all the printable stock laying flat so that it doesn't warp / bend.

Thank you for your help. Pictures would be helpful too!

balstestrat

Problem Solver
If you can spare the wall space you can install industrial storage racks and utilize the space upwards. Especially for the sheet stock.

Takes the same space as a table but has 5 times the surface area etc.

heavy-duty-storage-racks-500x500.jpg

jfiscus

Rap Master
Stick with vertical for sheet stock. You ALWAYS need a sheet that is buried and have to unload the shelf to get to it, then re-load the shelf.
We haven't any warping issues with vertical storage besides foam core that has sat for years.
Make yourself some rolling shelving for odd-jobs waiting for installation.
We use old banner shipping tubes cut in half to store wraps waiting on installation.

Stacey K

I like making signs
You could hang them using some cheap clamps from the hardware store. I hang my vehicle graphics on the wall for a few days while they wait to get installed - I was sick of my counter being unusable. Of course, if you have 10's of them, this might not work. I usually only have up to 3 groups at a time.
186357465_468624730905629_6202917333802299976_n.jpg

bluehammer

We roll them and put them under our cutting tables in 12" tubes we save from rolls of dreamscape wallpaper material. We just stack them horizontally. Easy...

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Screw a sheet of 20ga paint grip or some strips of steel flat bar into the wall. Then you can hang prints with wrap magnets to get them out of the way.

204SignGuy

Assistant to the Regional Manager
Here's our simple yet very effective solution. Steel flat bar with some 54" rods coming out of it. We just transfer the prints from the printer to an empty roll, and let it dangle while it off-gasses. We've got about 15 or 20 or these rods hanging in our shop.

Edit: I should mention, we screwed the flat bar to the studs in the wall after the rods were welded on and painted.

Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 7.17.53 AM.png